General Administration Supervisor I/Coordinator I
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Operations Manager, Stearns Center for Teaching and Learning
George Mason Universityâ€™s Stearns Center for Teaching and Learning is seeking an experienced and proactive Operations Manager to oversee and lead all operations and projects, especially in the area of online learning. This office supports Masonâ€™s new initiatives for creating new, fully-online undergraduate degree programs, as well as a diverse set of other faculty development and related activities. The office is fast-paced and has adopted a project management based approach to optimizing our productivity and effectiveness. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The Operations Manager reports directly to the Director for Digital Learning. The primary purpose of this position is to provide operations management, programmatic support and project management to all aspects of the Stearns Center including Digital Learning and Teaching Excellence. The Operations Manager is a critical role in ensuring the smooth operation of a rapidly-growing set of services and program offerings, and is part of the leadership team. This position is responsible for providing management and support in a growing, complex and high functioning office with rapidly changing priorities.
The Operations Manager works closely with the Stearns Centerâ€™s Events and Program Manager in support of all events and activities of the Center. These two positions communicate regularly with the Director for Digital Learning and the Director for Teaching Excellence regarding resource needs and allocation, as well as budget planning and operation of the Centerâ€™s suite of offices and meeting spaces.
Responsibilities: Duties include but are not limited to:
- Management of daily operations of the office;
- Managing all budgetary functions for budget orgs and foundation accounts;
- Providing project management oversight and guidance to all projects including online program development (SOUPR), communications and others;
- Hiring/supervising student and non-student wage workers and managing their schedules and workload;
- Responding to faculty and student requests;
- Fulfilling all HR requirements for a team of admin faculty, classified staff and wage employees;
- Monitoring and maintaining equipment and other resources inventories across the Center;
- Serving as liaison between the Stearns Center and the Provostâ€™s Office, academic units, faculty and other internal and external stakeholders and partners;
- Serving as the Centerâ€™s administrative liaison with Mason units including facilities, telecommunications, information technology, print services, etc;
- Reporting as required to the Centerâ€™s Directors.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Must be able to handle multiple responsibilities at once and be able to work and make decisions independently of the directors, based on an understanding of our objectives and constraints;
- Position requires advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office products (particularly Excel);
- Must exhibit advanced oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and organizational skills, including the ability to produce regular reports and presentations;
- Must be able to manage multiple projects (sometimes with conflicting timelines) under pressure;
- Must have a high proficiency in office and operations management and logistics and must be willing to learn new technologies and train others;
- Demonstrate high-level office and operations management experience including project management, hiring/supervising employees, onboarding and offboarding employees, monthly reconciliation of accounts, resource allocation, event planning and logistics, and previous work experience with third-party vendors.
- Experience planning, coordinating and supervising essential administrative functions and services and providing input and advice to unit leadership to maintain a high level of function in current and anticipated activities;
- Ability to self-teach with a resulting proficiency.
- Masters degree is strongly preferred;
- Experience with a variety of databases, and Mason technology platforms including Banner, MicroStrategy, Travel System, etc;
- Knowledge of an academic environment and familiarity with higher education administration;
- Experience with project management strategies and software is preferred;
- Experience managing without routine monitoring.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply to position number 00592Z at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date : 2018-12-05