Material Management Specialist III
Under the general supervision of the procurement manager, this position will purchase goods and services for all entities of the police department. To meet department goals and requirements, assists with tracking contracts, reviews purchase orders, purchases requisitions, selects appropriate vendors, reviews procurement items and packing slips.
Records each transaction into the FOCUS system and into finance division tracking systems, maintains call tracking information as necessary. Interprets the county's complex procurement procedure and assists in the development of the department's internal procurement manual. Provides proper training and assistance to department personnel for the best possible results.
- Assists with the supervision of warehouse/storeroom operations;
- Supervises the receiving, storage and issuance of supplies and equipment;
- Investigates and resolves inventory discrepancies and makes proper adjustments in inventory management application;
- Serves as department's Property Manager for accountable equipment;
- Plans and monitors staging areas;
- Audits and analyzes inventory to ensure availability and to minimize cost;
- Identifies surplus and obsolete items, arranges for disposal or coordinates surplus sales;
- Places orders for stock/supply replenishment;
- Researches and develops specifications and standards for the procurement of non-standard equipment, parts, materials and services and ensures that such items meet or exceed established specifications;
- Determines most economical supply source and selects the appropriate procurement/purchasing method;
- Utilizes purchasing application software, procurement cards, vendor online catalog and state contracts to generate purchase orders;
- Contacts vendors to expedite and coordinate deliveries and resolve discrepancies;
- Plans delivery schedule and routing;
- Processes invoices for payment and enters invoices in Accounts Payable application software;
- Researches and/or solicits vendor prices and availability quotes;
- Reviews relevant purchasing contracts and participates in the review of bids and recommendations for contract awards and changes;
- Evaluates and monitors vendor contract performance and resolves problems with vendor;
- Manages contracts and reports discrepancies with Department of Purchasing and Supply Management;
- Develops specifications and assist with IFB process;
- Maintains detailed purchasing, receiving and issue records using FOCUS;
- Develops inventory management, purchasing and warehouse/storeroom procedures;
- Trains subordinates of standard purchasing, inventory procedures and warehouse safety procedures;
- May provide limited supervision of warehouse staff;
- Coordinates maintenance and repair of vehicles, equipment and facility;
- May be required to operate a vehicle for making deliveries of supplies or equipment.
- Knowledge of supply procedures and requirements;
- Knowledge of procurement methods and procedures;
- Knowledge of purchasing contract practices and procedures;
- Ability to develop supply requirements;
- Ability to compare and analyze costs and specifications;
- Ability to prepare technical specifications and to analyze and evaluate bids;
- Ability to use sound judgment in making decisions;
- Ability to communicate in writing and orally;
- Ability to operate a personal computer and an automated purchasing/inventory management system;
- Ability to work with and evaluate the effectiveness of purchasing contracts;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships;
- Ability to perform tasks that include lifting, stooping, bending, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to high school graduation or a GED issued by a state department of education, plus four years of inventory, purchasing, accounts payable or material storage operations experience.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer and subject to random drug testing.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Must be able to obtain Forklift Safety Training Certificate within six months of hire date. Some positions in this class may be required to possess a valid driver's license.
Two or more years of experience procuring or issuing and receiving equipment or performing accounts payable functions using FOCUS. Knowledge of procurement guidelines and processes.
General moving of merchandise, shipments when received, stock of merchandise. Ability to lift up to 40 pounds, stoop, bend, squat, and use stool and/or ladder as needed to place/retrieve items. All duties accomplished with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview. As part of the interview process a written exercise may be administered.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.