Maintenance Crew Chief
Multiple position will be filled from this announcement.
This ad is for multiple positions that will be reporting to 3200 Jermantown Road Oakton or 1410 Hunter Mill Road, Vienna and are then dispatched to work locations throughout the county.
Leads a maintenance crew in the performance of a broad range of semi-skilled maintenance and grounds keeping tasks. Directs the work of a variety of tasks associated with mowing and grounds/park maintenance. Completes minor repairs and maintenance of park facilities, playground equipment, picnic areas, tennis court, basketball court, restroom, walkways, fencing, signs, and other amenities. Removes leaves, seeding and graffiti. Places sod, and makes other minor repairs to turf surfaces. Mows and maintains assigned park open areas and athletic fields. Supervises, evaluates and ensures that staff has been trained in and follow safety requirements for equipment operation and maintenance procedures. Operates a tractor/bucket loader with attachments, mowers and other equipment. Uses gas power equipment. Inspects and drives a truck and trailer, and hauls equipment and materials. Informs supervisors of conditions requiring special attention. Maintains tools and equipment in good working order. Completes required documentation and daily work reports.
- Leads, inspects, and reviews the work of a crew engaged in a variety of semi-skilled maintenance and/or construction activities;
- Inspects projects in progress and upon completion;
- Advises residents of county responsibility and refers them to the proper authority when appropriate;
- Estimates the amount of material to be used on a job;
- Prepares reports;
- Ensures that crew members have been trained in the proper use of equipment;
- Ensures that safety procedures are followed;
- Assists crew members in the operation of various types of trucks and equipment such as flat-bed trucks, utility bucket trucks, snow plows or spreaders;
- Responds to emergency situations including snow, flooding, and other designated emergencies;
- Monitors and reports complaints;
- In absence of the supervisor, performs duties of dispatching crews, preparing work orders, entering on-line time and attendance reports, preparing accident reports, addressing citizen complaints, etc.;
- May assist in preparing safety tailgate topics for crews and presenting safety topics at meetings;
- Inspects and reviews the work of crews engaged in a variety of maintenance and construction activities;
- Oversees and is engaged in the work of assigned crews;
- Engages in safe working practices and complies with safety programs and guidelines;
- Reports and monitors unsafe working conditions;
- Complies with safety competencies.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of the methods, tools and equipment commonly used in the maintenance and construction of walk ways, roads, lawns, parks, etc.;
- Knowledge of common hazards and safety precautions;
- Working knowledge of safety codes;
- Working knowledge of computers;
- Ability to use tools, equipment, and materials pertinent to the construction and maintenance trades;
- Ability to follow and interpret written instructions, diagrams, location maps, blueprints, and manufacturers' manuals;
- Ability to follow and relay oral instructions to labor crew in performance of work orders;
- Ability to organize and make oral presentations of safety topics and field operating guidelines at tailgate meetings;
- Ability to accurately estimate time and material needs, determine when repair is not economically practical, and perform routine clerical tasks and arithmetical computations;
- Ability to maintain good interpersonal relationships;
- Ability to retrieve, modify, and print computer documents on a computer;
- Ability to lead a crew in the performance of their duties;
- Ability to perform duties requiring manual dexterity and mechanical aptitude;
- Ability to work outside with regular exposure to severe weather, noxious fumes, and high levels of dust;
- Ability to perform medium to heavy labor;
- Ability to comprehend and comply to safety practices;
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with customers, employees and supervisors.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to graduation from high school or possession of a GED issued by a state department of education; and two years of experience in maintenance, construction, or a related field.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- A valid motor vehicle driver's license (upon hire);
- A valid Class A or Class B Commercial Driver's License, or either a Class A or Class B Learner's Permit (upon hire);
- A valid Class A Commercial Driver's License with Air Brakes (within 9 months of appointment).
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, a driving record check and a Pre-Employment Physical to the satisfaction of the employer.
- May be required to work overtime and be subject to 24 hour emergency callback.
- At least three years of maintenance, construction or related experience.
- Experience with equipment such as; skid-steers with attachments, tractor with attachments, riding mowers.
- Small Equipment experience with chainsaws, weed-trimmers, edgers, blowers, walk-behind mowers.
- Three or more years of experience with the repair and maintenance of outdoor maintenance of outdoor maintenance equipment such mowers, tractors and landscape equipment.
- Two years of supervisory experience.
Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds regularly, and work outdoors in variable weather conditions performing physical labor. Requires ability to bend, twist, turn, stand, and operate equipment and motor vehicles. Duties can be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview; may include exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.