Landlord Tenant Counsel
Duties and Responsibilities
- Landlord/Tenant Cases:
- Represent Southern in Landlord/Tenant cases in multiple jurisdictions throughout Maryland and preferably, Virginia.
- Represent Southern in L&T-related bankruptcy matters in federal courts as necessary.
- Respond to Fair Housing complaints or other such complaints of residents or prospective residents filed with local, state, and federal housing authorities.
- Conduct Legal research as necessary regarding lease interpretation disputes for residential and commercial residents.
- Uphold and keep abreast of all local and federal Fair Housing law and developments.
- Review and approve lease termination notices (management notices and breach of lease notices).
- Civil Cases:
- Represent Southern at civil hearings to conduct trials and argue motions related to Southern’s effort to collect unpaid debts.
- Draft, review, and file pleadings and motions on Southern’s behalf.
- Provide legal advice and counsel to the RFS collections team.
- Expanded Services (upon request of and in consultation with Vice President and General Counsel):
- Provide legal responses related to Civil and Landlord/Tenant cases in behalf of Communities (correspondence, legal positioning etc.).
- Provide periodic training to team members and Communities L&T matters and other legal topics.
- Contribute to the Southern Management Team effort by accomplishing tasks and assisting with special projects as needed.
- Comply with all Southern Management’s policies and procedures.
- Perform various other duties as assigned by the Vice President and General Counsel.
Education & Experience Required
- Must have a juris doctor degree and must be admitted to practice in Maryland (Virginia license preferred, but not required).
- Must be admitted to practice or be able to gain admission to practice in federal courts and bankruptcy courts.
- Excellent trial management skills.
- Broad knowledge of and experience in practice areas including but not limited to landlord/tenant, fair housing and debt collections.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Organizational, time management, decision making and problem solving skills.
- Must be able to understand, accept and reinforce all company policies and procedures.
- Must be able to distinguish from policies and procedures, and guidelines.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when dealing with team member issues
Southern Management Corporation is a privately held real estate firm. We do business in the mid-Atlantic region and own apartment-home communities, boutique hotels/resorts and commercial office centers.
Established in 1965, Southern employs more than 1,500 people and is the recent recipient of business and top workplace awards including Washingtonian Magazine’s "Great Places to Work,” Baltimore Sun’s “Top Work Places” and Baltimore Magazine’s “Best Places to Work,” The Washington Post’s “Top Work Places,” as well as an honorable mention from the Baldrige Award Committee.
Our compensation packages offer competitive pay rates and comprehensive benefits to full-year team members.