Project Engineer- #02991
The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is the science operations center for several NASA missions, including the Hubble Space Telescope (HST), the most famous space observatory in history, and the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), planned to launch in 2021. STScI is seeking a Project Engineer to join the Data Management Division (DMD) to technically lead and direct medium to large size software projects related to our missions. We are seeking a Project Engineer with an expert understanding of the engineering process for complex software system development who can lead software project teams in all aspects of the software life cycle: from system architecture to design, coding, testing, integration, release and support.
The DMD receives, processes, calibrates, and distribute data downloaded from multiple space telescopes. In addition, DMD archives science data in the Barbara A. Mikulski Archive for Space Telescopes (MAST) and provides both science data products and tools for the astronomical community to analyze the data. These products, tools and services are instrumental in making the world’s astronomical information accessible to all while advancing the state-of-art of astronomical data, archives, and tools for scientific discovery.
Your role and job responsibilities:
In this role:
- You technically and actively lead development for medium to large size software projects through all phases of the project life cycle using traditional and Agile methodologies
- You coordinate, lead and communicate with a diverse team of systems engineers, scientists, software engineers, testers and with formal verification and validation teams, operations staff and program management
- You use high-level development languages project management software tools
- You handle the capabilities of multiple target subsystems in order to architect cost effective, responsive solutions
- You develop and maintain project documents, such as Operations Concepts, Requirement Specifications, Risk Management Plans, System Design Specifications, Interface Control Specifications and System Integration Plans
- You develop system, subsystem, and interface requirements with guidance from team members
- You organize and conduct project reviews, such as Operations Concept Reviews, Trade Study Reviews, System Requirement Reviews, System Design Reviews, System Test Plan Reviews and Interface Definition Reviews
- You support software team-led reviews, such as Software Design Reviews, Code Reviews, Software Test Plan Reviews and Operational Readiness Reviews to ensure that system requirements are met
- As the engineering representative you work with the program management in developing, maintaining and reporting on the overall project schedule and notify the team about project risks and schedule-related problems and work to find solutions
- You participate in the analysis and resolution of operational problems with delivered system
- You stay technically up-to-date in systems engineering techniques and tools and project management techniques and tools
- You provide technical direction and mentoring to less senior staff
Your Qualifications and Job Requirements:
We invite you to apply if you have a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, or a related scientific or technical field and related work experience. An advanced engineering degree is preferred. A different scientific or technical degree in combination with your relevant work experience may be considered. The position level and salary are commensurate with education and experience. Qualifications include:
- Experience in all aspects of the software life cycle: from system architecture to design, coding, testing, integration, release and support
- Experienced understanding of the engineering process with respect to a complex software system development process with the proven ability to lead technical projects and make technical decisions for that development
- Strong communicator both orally and in writing, including presentations, with strong negotiating skills
- Shown ability in establishing and maintaining professional working relationships
- Effective meeting leadership skills
- Knowledge of the capabilities of multiple target subsystems in order to architect cost effective, responsive solutions
- Shown ability to balance system performance, cost, schedule, risk, and user satisfaction to help create the “best” system
- Shown ability to become rapidly knowledgeable on new topics
- Shown ability to technical run software architecture review boards, code reviews, etc.
- Shown ability to decompose large, complex systems into smaller, workable units
- Effective with both traditional and Agile software development methodologies
- Fluent with requirements specification, implementation and verification as applied to mission software systems
- Fluent knowledge of a high-level language such as Python, C, C++, or Java
- Familiar with RedHat Linux, IIS, Apache, Mac OS, Windows and virtual machine architecture
- Familiar with relational database structure, design and usage
- Familiar with Confluence, JIRA and configuration management tools such as git
Candidates must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident. Qualification for ITAR clearance is required.
TO APPLY: You are requested to complete an on-line application through our website at: www.stsci.edu/opportunities. Please include # 02991 in the file name. Applications received by December 3, 2018 will receive full consideration.
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do not discriminate based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements that are included for protection and to assist us in our record keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to create a first-rate scientific community. We reflect that deep commitment in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities.
Veterans, disabled individuals or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at email@example.com. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V Voted to the Baltimore Magazine Hall of Fame in 2015 – Top 25 Places to Work in Baltimore.