Temporary Recreation Leader II- Youth Programs
Temporary Recreation Leader II
The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter square miles in the city have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Temporary Recreation Leader II position.
In pursuit of service excellence the Recreation Leader II for Youth Programs performs technical recreation work. A Recreation Leader II will lead, instruct and guide youth 5-17 years old from all backgrounds in arts and crafts, sports, games, music, drama, cooking, exercise and field trips at an Out of School Time Program, Therapeutic Recreation or Youth Sports site. Our Recreation Leader II should also be available to work various hours, Monday to Friday, 2 p.m. to 6 p.m and some evenings and weekends as needed. Enthusiasm, flexibility and excellent communication skills are needed to be successful in this position. Applications for this position will be reviewed on a rolling bases.
What You Should Bring
Each member of our team is accountable for the outstanding delivery of services to the community. You will work to meet the recreation needs for our community. You will ensure that all activities are fun, safe, age-appropriate and orderly. You will have the support of and work under the direction of a Recreation Leader III, Recreation Coordinator or Recreation Manager in the planning of a well-rounded recreational program. You will execute programming that meets the high standards of excellence.
- Plans and develops sport and recreation programs, drama, music, dancing, and arts and crafts program to ensure that activities and events are made available to the community;
- Makes preparation for recreational activities at one or more sites: opens site, sets up equipment, assures that officials and teams are there, ascertains that rules and regulations are followed, controls the crowd, stores equipment, and secures the site;
- Responsible for supervising and leading a group of youth in varied programs;
- Fills out incident/illness report forms and contact parents as needed;
- Participates in staff meetings, in-service trainings, sessions, and workshops;
- Ensures all safety precautions and guidelines are followed;
- Manages buildings or fields during sporting events that includes practices or games;
- Works as a scorekeeper or field monitor; and
- Performs related work as required.
About the Department
The mission of Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities is to enrich the City of Alexandria by creating meaningful experiences through public spaces, cultural activities, and programming. The Department's vision is to improve the well-being of every person in our community by connecting them to each other and their environment. The Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities received national accreditation from the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA). National accreditation requires park and recreation agencies to meet 155 standards representing elements of effective and efficient park and recreation operations