Senior Planning Technician
Senior Planning Technician
The City of Alexandria is located in Northern Virginia, and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington, and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest City in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to work. Approximately one-quarter of the City's square miles have been designated as a national or local historic district. Several buildings in these districts are monuments to the past, while being actively used by citizens for homes, businesses, and museums. If you're interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Senior Planning Technician position.
Our work is driven by our 4 Guiding Principles:
- Aligning the work we do with our strategic plan.
- Executing against our strategy and ensuring accountability for our results.
- Promoting and encouraging a culture of leadership and ownership at all levels of the organization.
- Promoting a culture of service excellence, creativity and entrepreneurship.
The incumbent in this position will work in the Boards & Commission Unit of the Leadership & Management Support Services Division. The ideal candidate will be highly energetic, organized, detail-oriented, flexible, and capable of multi-tasking and working in a high volume, fast paced environment. Key to this position is the ability to manage complex databases, scheduling software, and multiple deadlines utilizing sound judgment and working independently, but keeping the Manager informed and taking issues and possible solutions to the Manager. Also, strong customer services skills are an essential requirement demonstrating effective ability to work with applicants, other City departments, and the public in general.
What You Should Bring
You should be highly motivated, organized, creative and responsible with strong written and oral communication skills. The ability to manage competing priorities is critical. Very close attention to detail is a major requirement. Excellent customer service skills are required. The Senior Planning Technician must have a desire to work as part of a team environment and be willing to provide efficient and consistent service to the public.
- Manage the intake and distribution of zoning, development and historic preservation applications and fees;
- Demonstrate strong customer service to effectively interface daily with applicants as part of the intake process. Meet with them on cases pertaining to public hearing Special Use Permit applications and other non-development cases;
- Review plans and applications for compliance with submission requirements and basic zoning regulations and manage zoning, development and historic preservation case files, including scanning into a document imaging system;
- Respond to Freedom of Information Act requests and perform a variety of special projects and extensive research projects;
- Maintain tracking systems and permit database, produce various reports and manage webpages and webcasts;
- Coordinate logistics for Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals and two Boards of Architectural Review as assigned, which include but are not limited to: preparing and publishing dockets, creating legal notices, certifying legal notices, formatting and preparing complex staff reports for final publishing, and meeting scheduling and set up;
- Provide information about application and review processes, notices, and board and commission hearings to applicants, staff and the public;
- Perform a variety of administrative and technical tasks in support, preparation of and follow up to meetings of the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, and Boards of Architectural Review as assigned;
- Create and edit a variety of graphics, tables and maps using and GIS and Adobe Creative Suite software;
- Develop and implement creative, and procedurally viable, solutions to problems related to administrative processing, tracking, document management, data management and organization of zoning, development and historic preservation cases;
- Deliver docket packages to Board and Commission members and post placard notices; and
- Perform related work as required.
About the Department
The Department of Planning and Zoning works closely with the community in each area of the City to carry out City Council's Strategic Plan for vibrant, amenity-rich neighborhoods, protected historic resources, and vital local businesses. With the community as our partner in developing neighborhood plans and reviewing proposals for development projects and businesses, we continue to deliver on the vision we have developed together.