Park Planning Urban Planner
Park Planning Urban Planner
The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter square miles in the city have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Park Planning Urban Planner.
What we do and how we do it is driven by our 4 Guiding Principles:
- Aligning the work we do with our strategic plan
- Executing against our strategy and ensuring accountability for our results
- Promoting and encouraging a culture of leadership and ownership at all levels of the organization
- Promoting a culture of service excellence, creativity and entrepreneurship
OverviewThe Park Planning Urban Planner (Urban Planner III) performs variety of project management and advanced technical functions in the specialized area of park planning. This position is responsible for relatively independent performance of major capital projects requiring advanced skills in areas such as research, analysis, design, drafting, and construction. The Park Planning Urban Planner will represent in City and Department positions at public hearings before the City Council, Planning Commission, Park and Recreation Commission and other public bodies, and will serve as an internal and external expert on City and/or regional panels, committees and task forces. A person in this position will be responsible for coordinating capital projects including consultant work and contractors. Work is performed under general instructions from a Principal Planner, Division Chief, or the Director with considerable latitude for initiative and independent judgment on assigned major projects.
What You Should Bring
Each member of our team is accountable for the outstanding delivery of services to the community. You must possess a thorough knowledge of park planning and design, project management, and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing. Your ability to work in a face-paced environment, providing excellent customer service, leadership, and problem-solving skills. You will work to meet the needs of our community. You will have the support of and work under the direction of a Principal Planner in the Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities.
- Leads and manages capital project planning process from design inception through project completion, occupancy/use and post occupancy assessments;
- Leads multi-departmental groups and act as department/City representative in City-wide special projects and set standard to establish an atmosphere of creative/innovative approaches to address capital renewal asset needs through critical capital project planning to maximize results under complex shifting financial constraints and available funds;
- Manages all work in progress by reviewing submissions of staff work reports, contractor documents, weekly progress meetings, plans and specifications prepared by outside consultants and in-house personnel;
- Minimizes capital expenditures by critical thinking, innovative/creative approaches and negotiation to identify scope of work and subsequent navigation of complex regulatory requirements;
- Prepares written documents, oral reports, responses, other communiques for submission to the City Manager, Boards and Commissions, City Council, and the public on technical or complex topics;
- Prepares preliminary project cost estimates;
- Approves procurement process to develop bid package specifications, documents for seal bids; review and approve bid submissions for capital expenditures;
- Negotiates, reviews and approves project scope, design and construction contractual agreements;
- Performs related work as required, including responding to public inquiries, meeting support and facilitation, professional development meetings, and general administration.
The mission of Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities is to enrich the City of Alexandria by creating meaningful experiences through public spaces, cultural activities, and programming. The Department's vision is to improve the well-being of every person in our community by connecting them to each other and their environment. The Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities received national accreditation from the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA). National accreditation requires park and recreation agencies to meet 155 standards representing elements of effective and efficient park and recreation operations.