Division Chief of Mobility Services
Division Chief of Mobility Services
Within T&ES and across the City, we work together to foster a thriving Alexandria and work toward a culture that supports each of us and inspires excellence. The Department of Transportation and Environmental Services (T&ES) is seeking a Division Chief for its Mobility Services Division and will be responsible for administration of a number of mobility programs for the City including the Parking Program, Development Review, Taxi Cab Regulation, Bikeshare, Paratransit Program and GoAlex, the City's Transportation Demand Management (TDM) Program. This position also tackles challenging polices related to taxis and ride hailing, Shared Mobility, Food Trucks, Parklets, Freight and Delivery and other curbside management topics.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with the vision, mission, and values of the City of Alexandria, and provides excellent customer service.
- Seeks opportunities to imitate improvement in organizational processes and effectiveness, including employee performance, morale, and work methods.
- Encourages innovation and creativity among staff and looks beyond the City for best practices
- Manages the development review process for the division, in coordination with other divisions and departments, including parking and Transportation Management Plan (TMP) requirements.
- Works closely with City boards & commissions to achieve departmental goals and develop policy.
- Aligns Division priorities with the Departmental Work Plan and the Citywide Strategic Plan.
- Coordinates closely with other divisions and departments to seek different perspectives and collaboratively develop the best results
- Fosters relationships with the community to ensure positive partnerships
- Effectively communicates information to the public, senior management, staff and colleagues both orally and in writing.
- Oversees operating and capital budgets, prepares and reviews grant applications and works in close coordination with the Fiscal Team and departmental program managers;
- Provides expert counsel to senior management and professional staff on the management of large-scale transportation projects as well as day-to-day activities and operational analysis;
- Prepares and reviews docket items, reports and/or analysis for the City Manager, City Council, Boards & Commissions and the T&ES Director.
For additional information on this position, click here
The Ideal Candidate
To qualify for this position, all candidates must possess a Bachelor's degree in Civil/Transportation Engineering, Urban Planning, Public Administration or related program; five years of progressively responsible experience in transportation planning and/or engineering, or operations analysis; or any equivalent combination of experience and training.
To be considered as an ideal candidate, one should also possess a Master's Degree in Urban Planning, Engineering, or closely related field. AICP Certification. Five years of experience in project management, including effective management of project budgets. Two years of supervisory experience; five (5) years of experience presenting technical information effectively, both orally and in writing, to large groups and senior management.
About the Department
T&ES is a community partner in shaping a livable, green, and prospering Alexandria. We plan, build, operate, and maintain transportation systems and infrastructure that improve mobility and provide people and businesses with core public services. The work we do keeps Alexandrians moving, growing sustainability, and thriving. If you are curious for a broader view of our City government click here, or for a broader view of the City of Alexandria click here.