Chief Internal Auditor
Chief Internal Auditor
The City of Alexandria, Virginia is looking for a Chief Internal Auditor to serve as the leader and director of its Office of Internal Audit. This three-person office is responsible for the financial audits of City processes, internal control system reviews, conducting reviews of financial management (primary function), programs/operational systems (secondary function), administering the City's Ethics and Fraud Hotline, all resulting in the production of objective and constructive reports. The Chief Internal Auditor is a department head level position who reports directly to the City Manager.
- Lead the review of City financial operations ($917 million All Funds Budget, $2.0 billion 10-year capital spending plan) in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS) and Government Auditing Standards (GAS);
- Assist the City Manager and senior management with the improvement of the operations of the City government through financial/program/operational audits, and ensure that identified improvements and actions are implemented;
- Assess the City's current audit work program and make recommendations to maximize return on investment of internal audit resources;
- Undertake compliance audits;
- Directs and applies audit sampling techniques, analyzes City internal controls, examines contracts, financial records, procedures, and administrative control to ensure compliance with applicable regulations, and that operations are being performed efficiently;
- Collaborate with City departments in identification on an ongoing basis of efficiency and process improvement opportunities;
- Prevent, investigate and report on incidents of waste, fraud and abuse;
- Ensure federal and state grants are managed according to grantor expectations;
- Coordinate the review and resolution of complaints that arise through the Ethics and Fraud Hotline;
- Produce periodic reports regarding the status and outcomes of planned audits, and ethics and fraud complaints;
- Promote knowledge of good internal controls throughout the City organization;
- Collaborate with City's external auditors; and
- Develop annual audit work program.
The Ideal Candidate
To qualify for this position, a candidate should possess a Bachelor's degree in accounting, business administration, public administration, or any related field with major coursework in advanced accounting, auditing and finance with at least five years of responsible progressively supervisory, team leader and/or project management experience, or a combination thereof. Experience in accounting and/or auditing in municipal government or public accounting required. Knowledge of GAAP, GAAS, GAS and internal auditing practices and fraud analytic techniques and procedures is essential. Certified Internal Audit (CIA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification required.
To be considered as a preferred candidate, applicants should possess the qualifications listed above, plus a Master's degree in accounting, business administration, public administration or a related field; ten years of progressively responsible supervisory or team leader and/or project management experience, or a combination thereof, plus extensive experience in auditing; experience undertaking operational and/or program reviews/audits; and one or more professional certifications such as Certified Internal Audit (CIA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFA), or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA). The selected candidate would be expected to have an active audit-specific professional certification or obtain and maintain certification within 18 months of hire.
About the Department
The Office of Internal Audit (OIA) was established to provide an independent appraisal function to examine and evaluate City programs and activities as a service to City management. and evaluate City programs and activities as a service to City management.If you are curious for a broader view, click the City of Alexandria to learn more about our great City.