Assistant Dean, Strategic Communications and Marketing
Job Category : Admin or Professional Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Assistant Dean, Strategic Communications and Marketing, College of Humanities and Social Sciences
George Mason Universitys College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS) invites well-qualified candidates to apply for our Assistant Dean of Strategic Communications and Marketing position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: As a member of the CHSS executive leadership team, the incumbent will direct the Colleges strategic communications and marketing efforts related to enrollment growth, faculty and student research activities, and advancement/alumni engagement. In this capacity, this position will:
- Lead the development and execution of a CHSS branding strategy and comprehensive CHSS communications plan to support strategic enrollment growth and increase local and national awareness of the Colleges educational, research, and public service activities;
- Ensure the clear and consistent representation of the Colleges and Universitys mission and visual identities across all media platforms;
- Manage the CHSS marketing and communications budget and supervise/mentor the Colleges communications and marketing staff, contractors, and student interns;
- Develop, implement, coordinate, and periodically assess integrated marketing initiatives designed to support strategic enrollment growth through targeted communications across all appropriate media platforms (i.e., print, websites, short-form video, social media);
- Plan, develop, and manage market research data to inform CHSS enrollment planning and strategies;
- Foster positive working relationships with internal and external partners to advance the Colleges vision and strategy for growth in enrollment, research, fundraising and alumni (re)engagement;
- Introduce and evaluate new methods and technologies for keeping the College and its constituents highly engaged;
- Independently identify public policy/news opportunities to showcase the Colleges work, including blogs, op-eds, etc.; and
- Provide the dean, senior leadership and faculty with talking points and briefing materials for major college events and presentations, and support the planning and execution of special events and activities.
- Masters degree in a relevant field and 8+ years of applicable professional experience, preferably in a higher education environment;
- Strong oral, written, digital, and visual communication and presentation skills;
- Experience in leading and supervising a communications and marketing team;
- Experience in building brands and in designing, implementing, and evaluating strategic marketing campaigns;
- Substantial experience in cultivating and guiding work processes between various functional units, including but not limited to, communications, information technology, academic affairs, advancement and alumni relations;
- Skill and experience in organizing resources and establishing priorities, budget preparation, and the ability to manage budgetary expenditures for compliance with approved budget;
- Skill and experience examining and reengineering operations and procedures as well as designing and implementing new initiatives to improve quality outcomes;
- Ability to build strong partnerships within the College and University and with community partners;
- Strong collaboration, persuasion, and consensus-building skills; and
- Ability to manage sensitive information, support a culture of inclusion and diversity, and foster a positive work environment.
- Experience with humanities and social science disciplines; and
- Experience with MS Office Products and marketing, communications-related software such as the Salesforce CRM platform, and social media technologies.
Please send inquiries about the position to Kevin Augustyn at email@example.com.
College of Humanities and Social Sciences CHSS is Masons largest college, currently offering 27 undergraduate majors, 56 minors, 9 doctoral degrees, 26 masters (including a master of fine arts in creative writing and a master of arts in interdisciplinary studies), and 16 graduate certificates. In Fall 2017, it enrolled 25% of the Universitys undergraduates and 14% of its graduate students. Its faculty and students are highly active in research, with external research funding to the college averaging $15-$20 million annually. The work of CHSS was instrumental in the universitys recent attainment of R-1 Doctoral University (Highest Research Activity) classification. Our faculty take great pride in being active scholar-teachers, and research is a vital part of undergraduate as well as graduate student experience here. The College is also rooted in intellectual leadership tied to real-world outcomes on regional, national, and global levels. Our faculty are committed partners in innovative programs, service offerings, and strategic alliances that strengthen the public and private sectors of the community. At this inflection point in the institutions history, the College has tremendous opportunities to be a force for innovation in teaching, research, and community engagement at Mason.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a CV, cover letter/statement of interest, a two-page synopsis of your vision for this position, a writing sample, and the names and full contact information for three professional references. An offer of employment is contingent upon background verification. Review of applications will begin December 5, 2018, but will remain open until the position is filled.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :