WATER/SEWER/STREETS EQUIPMENT OPERATOR I (2 VACANCIES)
The Department of Environmental Services has two (2) vacancies for Water/Sewer/Streets (WSS) Equipment Operators in the Streets section. One position will focus on Backhoe and other specialized equipment operation to support the construction and maintenance of the County's streets, sidewalks, curb and gutters, along with other infrastructure. The other position will focus on Pothole Patch Truck and other specialized equipment operation to support asphalt maintenance and repair related to the County's streets, sidewalks, curbs and gutters along with other infrastructure.
Specific duties for the positions include:
- Performing preventive, routine and emergency maintenance related to asphalt repairs, manhole adjustments, full depth patching, pot hole, sidewalk, curb and gutter repairs;
- Loading and operating various size trucks such as medium and tandem dump trucks, asphalt/concrete saw's (handheld and walk-behind), asphalt rollers (walk-behind and riding), and front-end loaders;
- Operation of backhoe or pothole patch truck and associated equipment such as tandem and tailgate rollers, and crane trucks;
- Assisting in moving materials and equipment, and grading surfaces for construction;
- Planning work routes for pot hole maintenance and other related work functions using a computerized maintenance management system (CMMS);
- Responding to and performing in emergencies such as snow removal operations, street cave-ins and other related emergency situations; and
- Participating in emergency stand-by duty on a rotating schedule.
Minimum: A High school diploma, GED or the equivalent, plus experience operating heavy/specialized equipment such as medium or tandem dump trucks, backhoes, crane trucks, pothole patch trucks, front-end loaders or asphalt rollers, asphalt/concrete saw's and/or other related equipment.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year for year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
- At least two years of operating a pothole patch truck;
- At least two years of operating a Backhoe;
- Operating other equipment related to street/asphalt maintenance;
- Using a computerized maintenance management system (CMMS); and/or
- Field construction experience (reading/interpreting plans, cut sheets, etc.).
1) Applicant must possess a valid class "B" or "A" commercial driver's license at time of application.
2) The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record and passing a pre-employment drug screening and alcohol breath test as required by applicable standards.
3) Prior to the time of appointment, the successful applicant must pass a pre-employment drug screening. Once hired, the employee will be subject to drug screening at such times during employment as required by federal, state, and local standards and regulations. Applicant must also provide written consent for Arlington County to obtain from previous employers information required by DOT agency regulations concerning drug and alcohol testing information.
Work Hours: 6:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Must be available for call-back in emergency situations such as snow removal.
These positions are a part of a multi-grade series which includes WSS Equipment Operator I and WSS Equipment Operator II. This recruitment is to fill two (2) vacancies for WSS Equipment Operator I.
The official title of this position is Water/Sewer/Streets Equipment Operator I.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered.