MANAGEMENT AND BUDGET SPECIALIST
Note: This is a re-opening to expand the pool of qualified candidates. If you have already applied for this position, there is no need to re-apply unless you wish to update your application.
Do you want to be part of an innovative, creative, and results oriented team that supports critical publicly funded mental health and substance abuse services in Arlington County? This position may be for you!
This is a professional position in the Behavioral Healthcare Division in the Department of Human Services (DHS), a progressive and recovery oriented community based mental health, and substance abuse agency which provides high quality services to the Arlington community. The Management and Budget Specialist will assist in the budget development and implementation cycle, manage the division's procurement processes, manage daily fiscal operations, grants management, and reporting.
Specific duties include:
- Developing the annual budget in collaboration with stakeholders and ensuring compliance with County deadlines, policies, and procedures;
- Facilitating the implementation of the budget by monitoring and tracking the division's authorized funding, allocations, account charges, and projected expenses;
- Managing and tracking the administrative aspects of competitive procurement, including issuing and tracking requisitions and purchase orders;
- Participating in contract management, monitoring, and evaluation activities;
- Tracking personnel and position control actions;
- Managing accounts receivable and payable operations while analyzing financial data and producing federal, state, and internal financial reports;
- Managing the divisions' purchase card program; and
- Assisting in developing and implementing fiscal policies and procedures.
Arlington County DHS is committed to delivering client services in an effective, equitable, respectful, and trauma-informed manner. Our staff is dedicated to ensuring our clients are approached, engaged and cared for in ways that demonstrate competency, sensitivity and awareness of factors which impact the client experience including but not limited to: cultural identity, gender, racial, and ethnic diversity, religious/spiritual ascription, physical capability, cognitive and literacy levels, sexual orientation, and linguistic needs. Selection Criteria
Minimum: Bachelor's degree in Finance, Business, Public Administration or a related field and some experience in the finance, planning and administration of publicly funded programs or reasonably transferable skills.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year for year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to applicants with one or more of the following:
- Knowledge of technical budget, accounting, and financial analysis.
- Experience in accounts receivable and payable;
- Experience in contract management;
- Excel skills (including pivot tables and other advanced features);
- Experience in governmental/non-profit accounting or procurement activities;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
A pre-hire background check will be made on all candidates who are selected for employment. It may include checks of the following: criminal record, driving record, education, professional licensure, and credit history. You may be required to sign a release authorizing the County to obtain your background information. There is a Virginia State Central Registry check requirement.
Pursuant to Section 27-9 of the Arlington County Code, this position may require the completion of the "Statement of Economic Interest (Financial Disclosure)" form upon acceptance of employment and annually thereafter.
Normal work hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with some flexibility. Occasional evening and weekend hours, on an as needed basis.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.