Editorial Systems Manager - Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) is the National Academy of Science's official peer-reviewed journal of original scientific research. Since its establishment in 1914, it publishes cutting-edge research reports, commentaries, reviews, perspectives, colloquium papers, and actions of the Academy. Coverage in PNAS spans the biological, physical, and social sciences.
PNAS is seeking an Editorial Systems Manager. Successful candidates are analytical, highly motivated, highly organized, process oriented, excellent communicators, and have a strong work ethic and can multitask. The position focuses on systems operations and management of the editorial and production systems involved in the peer review and production of PNAS content. The position provides technical consulting, project planning, on-site coordination, contractor oversight, quality control, and contract management. Previous experience in scientific publishing with an understanding of peer review and production is required, as well as experience managing peer review submission and production platforms.
Working under general supervision and functioning with the ability to deviate from subscribed courses of action as needed, incumbent applies general professional knowledge and principals of function to solve problems requiring the identification and analysis of various factors and uses independent judgment and discretion to recommend best course of action. Incumbent may establish processes and procedures to ensure the effective and efficient operation of routine support functions.
Reporting to the Deputy Executive Editor, the position is responsible for the following essential duties:
- Managing implementation of software code updates for editorial and production systems.
- Keen understanding of XML workflows and ability to recommend/implement new features to enhance systems user experience for both internal and external client needs.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, track and report systems performance effectiveness and metrics.
- Develop organizational capabilities consistent with best practices for metadata management.
- Managing vendor relations including drafting RFPs, reviewing service level agreements, acquiring quotes, price negotiations, and appraisal of vendors' performance and work.
- Providing oversight of systems administration budget, including drafting annual operating budget and cost projections, and tracking payment of invoices.
- Acquiring bids and cost estimates on custom software.
- Liaises with ITS and outside vendors to troubleshoot IT problems and recommend IT solutions, including new hardware and software upgrades, and tracks progress of resolutions.
- Gathering and analyzing data as requested.
- Supports and informs process and workflow decisions for editorial and production managers; guides decisions through reliance on technical and systems expertise; and serves as a resource to production and editorial staff on systems-related matters.
- Responds to routine and non-routine queries from authors, reviewers, editors, vendors, and readers. Alerts Deputy Executive Editor to possible ethical violations or threats to the integrity of the peer review process.
- Supervisory duties may be assigned as needed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
In depth knowledge of scholarly peer review best practices. Ability to solve varied and complex problems using originality and ingenuity. Ability to operate using appreciable latitude for independent judgment and action. Ability to work successfully in a team environment. Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of stakeholders.
QUALIFICATIONS: Minimum 4 years plus experience managing industry and/or serving as Subject Matter Expert for standard peer review software.
MINIMUM EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree in a related field, or equivalent knowledge.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: EJP Platform (Preferred) or Aries Editorial Manager. Demonstrated excellence in customer service.
Any qualification to be considered equivalent, in lieu of stated minimum, requires the prior approval of the Office of Human Resources.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Some functions in this description may be specific to a particular unit of the National Academies and not applicable to other units.