FIREFIGHTER (INTERMEDIATE LIFE SUPPORT)
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes working as a fully trained member of a firefighting crew engaged in the protection of life and property. Provide basic and intermediate life support treatment to patients within the pre-hospital environment; direct fire and emergency medical personnel in responding to medical emergencies; perform maintenance tasks on firefighting and EMS apparatus, equipment, and facilities; perform inspections, maintenance and testing of extinguishing systems and portable extinguishers. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-07).
Selective Placement Factor: Emergency Medical Technician - Intermediate (EMT-I 99) level or higher (EMT) certification from the State of Virginia or National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians. Firefighter I, Firefighter II, Driver Operator Pumper, Hazardous Material Awareness, and Hazardous Materials Operations certifications issued by te following: DOD, IFSAC or NPQS/ProBoard.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Emergency Medical Care
- Fire Prevention, Inspection, and Code Compliance
- Fire Suppression
- Firefighting Equipment
Applicants must meet all eligibility requirements and minimum qualification requirements prescribed by OPM within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone -- no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 12 position.
- You may claim military spouse preference.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 90 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- Maximum Entry Age: (a) For initial appointments, you cannot have reached your 37th birthday by the day of appointment. (b) If you have passed the designated entry age limit noted, but have previously served in a covered position you may be eligible to re-enter the fire service provided that you: 1) meet all applicable qualifications for the position; and 2) will be able to complete a total of 20 years of covered and creditable Federal firefighter service by the time the Federal firefighter reaches the age of 57. Prior service in covered positions and credit towards retirement may be subtracted from your age to determine if the Federal firefighter meets the maximum entry age.
- This position requires that you possess the Airport Firefighter certification issued by one of the following: Department of Defense (DOD) Firefighter Certification System, International Fire service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or National Professional Qualification System (NPQS)/ProBoard OR be able to obtain the Airport Firefighter certification within one year of your start date.
- NOTE: Rather than submitting individual DoD certificates, you may opt to use the DoD Lookup System website (http://www.dodffcert.com/), and then save and upload your one/two page individual report. In addition to the above, you must also submit copies of non-DoD certifications and supporting documents outlined in the Requirements section of this announcement.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.