Vice President of Administration & Finance
Radio Free Asia (RFA), a grantee of the US Agency for Global Media (USAGM), is a congressionally-funded, private 501(c)(3) organization that provides accurate and timely news and information to Asian countries whose governments prohibit access to a free press. Delivered in nine main Asian languages in addition to English, our journalism extends beyond radio to include web, video, mobile and e-books.
RFA is seeking a talented, nonprofit executive to serve as its Vice President of Administration & Finance. Providing management and oversight of the Human Resources Department and working closely with the Finance Department, this individual will be responsible for advising RFA's President on administrative policies, procedures, and strategies; for ensuring that non-editorial decisions of the President are carried out in a well-coordinated, effective, and timely manner; and for coordinating issues in these areas internally and with outside stakeholders.
- Overseeing the Human Resources Department and handling issues relating to employee relations, staffing (recruitment, retention, and separation), compensation and benefits, management training and development, employment-related legal issues, compliance with employment-related rules and regulations, conflict resolution, complaints, disciplinary actions, investigations (including those that are highly confidential and complex), internal communications, and other HR generalist functions.
- Developing and coordinating plans, projects, and organizational activities to accomplish RFA's overall objectives, and promoting effective, timely communication among departments and their stakeholders within and outside the company.
- Handling labor relations, working with RFA’s General Counsel, outside labor counsel, and the collective bargaining team to develop an effective negotiating strategy for CBA negotiations, working with the Budget Director on wage issues and promotions, developing CBA implementation strategies, and overseeing union grievances as required by the CBA.
- Providing advice to the corporation and senior staff on employment-related matters and in consultation with the General Counsel on legal issues under the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, Title VII, and related federal and DC laws and regulations.
- Handling policy planning, development, and implementation, along with introducing new and/or improved programs and initiatives for the RFA workforce.
- Developing and updating company-wide employee staffing plans, wage structures/incentives, and resource allocations in consultation with the Budget Director.
- Aligning programs and policies with business strategies.
- Managing relationships with benefits brokers and negotiating plan modifications.
- Overseeing company-wide performance management and talent development.
- Overseeing company-wide safety and security protocols and procedure.
- Liaising with USAGM, outside stakeholders, other government agencies and officials on HR-related matters and other areas in the President's discretion.
- Supervising and evaluating the performance of members of HR Department and providing high level oversight of the Finance Department, as required.
- Working with the General Counsel and Budget Director on lease, renovation, and other contract issues.
- Handling special HR and employment-related projects, contributing to Board reports.
- Minimum 10 years’ executive-level administration and management experience required. Experience in nonprofit or journalism sectors preferred. Knowledge of broadcast, production and workplace technology a plus.
- Minimum five years’ experience managing full-scope Human Resources, including personnel, compensation, benefits, etc.
- Strong knowledge of finance and budgeting required. Prior experience providing oversight of corporate Finance Department preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required. Master’s degree or JD preferred.
- Strong knowledge of employment law required. SHRM Membership and PHR/SPHR and/or SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP certification is preferred.
- Experience working in union environment and union contract negotiations strongly preferred.
- Strong negotiating, interpersonal, problem-solving, consensus building, and mentoring skills.
- Highly organized and strong attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously, from various day-to-day HR activities to large-scale projects.
- Excellent listening and written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in a highly diverse, multicultural environment.
- Ability to foster a collaborative and positive work environment and build strong relationships with other senior staff and external constituents.
RFA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity
RFA encourages all qualified individuals to apply. If hired, the candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the US as an employee of RFA. RFA reserves the right to reconsider or withdraw any offer of employment to any candidate whose authorization to work in the US as an employee of RFA, or extension of such authorization, would require RFA to file or support a petition or related documentation.
How to Apply
Send résumé with cover letter making reference to “Vice President of Administration & Finance” via e-mail to email@example.com.