The Office of the Registrar
Exempt, Contingent II, 100% Full-Time, Pay Grade 1.1
Location: Academic Center at Largo
University of Maryland University College Office of the Registrar is a forward thinking, innovative office with a focus on building staff competencies in the Registrar profession using AACRAO Competency frameworks. The Office is seeking an Academic Evaluator for Evaluation Services. The Academic Evaluator is an intermediate level student service position and the evaluator will support students, staff, faculty, and others (internal and external) by providing excellent customer service via phone, salesforce cases, chat, email, and any other methods of communication that assure we are meeting students' needs. This position is part of a team of evaluators and, as such, collaboration across the team is required; engaging in helping other evaluators make determinations, providing expertise, and collectively and individually providing feedback and ideas to the office for ways to enhance the services to students, staff, faculty and others.
Evaluators are responsible for the assessment and placement in the student's degree or credential program of transfer credit from various sources including other educational institutions and workplace learning evaluated by a recognized agency such as ACE or NCCRS, and tests/examination credit (AP, Cambridge, CLEP, DANTES, etc). Academic Evaluators are responsible for program and plan changes, PS course directives, PS course substitutions, and other business processes as are needed to ensure the student's program/plan is accurate and correct and adjusted based on the student's desired degree, credential, or pathway. This position's focus and assignment will be on either preliminary evaluations (PE) or official evaluations (OE). The team assignment will be based on demonstrated competency in student service, technical systems knowledge, accuracy, efficiency, and production volume. Team members may be rotated between OE and PE, depending on business need.
Evaluators who are assigned a PE role will focus on completing preliminary estimates (PE) via SalesForce CRM for prospective students to assist them in making an admission decision to enroll at the UMUC by assessing and analyzing all potential transfer credits submitted to prepare a PE report outlining the student degree pathway for the student. The expectation is that all preliminary evaluations are completed with excellent accuracy (e.g. few to no errors) and within service level agreement (SLA) which may include same day service, provided the request is received by 3pm. Requests received after 3pm may be handled as priorities the following morning but must be completed in 24 hours.
Evaluators who are assigned an OE role will focus on the official evaluation (OE), including the use of several PeopleSoft processes to create the academic advisement report. The OE Assessment may include further research into the specific content of the transfer credit utilizing resources such as TES from College Source, websites, books, journals, etc. The expectation is the official evaluation will be completed with excellent accuracy and no errors and within service level agreement timelines as established by the supervisor and department. Evaluators assigned to the OE role will also handle program and plan changes, re-evaluation with additional sources of credit, and advanced PS processes for adjustments to the academic advisement report. Academic Evaluators support students by ensuring the students' chosen degree/credential pathways are accurate, understandable, and communicated in such a way as to help them make the appropriate choices of coursework for registration and planning. Academic Evaluators also identify and make suggestions to students of ways to minimize costs and maximize success by noting where additional potential transfer credits could be applied and sharing ideas for programs of study which more closely align with incoming credit.
University of Maryland University College is seeking an Academic Evaluator for the Degree Audit Team. This role will be required to work from 9:30am to 6pm.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Assesses and analyzes sources of transfer credit for prospective and current students requesting a preliminary estimate to determine how UMUC will utilize their incoming credit from various sources meeting established Service Level Agreement (SLA).
- Uses independent judgment guided by existing policies, practices, and procedures to evaluate traditional and nontraditional transfer credit in order to determine course equivalencies; preparing and processing the official academic advisement report in PeopleSoft, which provides the student a pathway to their credential.
- Reviews the institution or organization (source) of the potential transfer credit, including verifying the authenticity of the record, to determine if it meets existing UMUC policy and standards.
- Using both online and paper based resources, reviews course syllabi, course descriptions, college catalogs and other documents in order to properly evaluate and equate transferred courses.
- Utilizes the Peoplesoft Student Records and Academic Advisement Modules to create, edit, and post transfer credit to the student's record.
- In cases of exceptions, Academic Evaluator will perform complex Peoplesoft adjustments in the system via course directives, requirement waivers, course substitutions, and program and plan changes.
- Continuously reviews processes and practices (workflow, tools, etc.) used daily to perform role and proactively recommends modifications to enhance, streamline, or provide better customer experience to internal and external customers.
- Academic Evaluators are expected to actively participate in meetings, workgroups, and other communication pathways by sharing ideas and solutions to drive student success and enhance the customer service and outputs of the department.
- Demonstrates excellent stewardship by cultivating current curriculum and business processes and practices knowledge via utilizing existing tools (Advising manual, university catalog, academic content meetings, and assorted updates).
- Promptly responds to student and advisor questions regarding transfer credit and academic advisement, meeting all currently established SLA deadlines for the department via phone, chat, SalesForce, or emails (as specified by the department and commensurate with utilization of 21st century technology tools to drive customer satisfaction).
- Demonstrates high level written and oral communication skills by communicating professionally and anticipating the needs of the customers; proactively seeks to ensure questions and issues are handled with tact, diplomacy, and integrity.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BA/BS degree from an accredited higher education institution.
- Demonstrated successful performance, defined as having completed all training, satisfactory error ratio obtainment, and at least 120 days of meeting all SLA timeframes established, as an academic evaluator associate (or comparable position) in a Registrar's office.
- Demonstrated competency in satisfactory resolution of student and/or customer initiated questions using resources and tools available via online or paper.
- Demonstrated ability to work with detailed, factual information from a variety of sources with outstanding accuracy (e.g. 98% accuracy rate).
- Ability to organize and prioritize administrative tasks and workflow such that all service level agreements are met.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with internal and external customers via phone, email, chat, and other methods using business acumen, kindness, and professional courtesy.
- Demonstrated ability to pivot on tasks between detail oriented work and service oriented work in a fast paced environment where there will be distractions requiring immediate service that may interrupt regular administrative tasks.
- Ability to make decisions using criterion that require the incumbent to navigate, assimilate, understand, and apply policies, procedures, and practices from a variety of sources.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently (e.g. by assigning work from a queue to his/her self for completion) and collaboratively with other staff (e.g. discussing the approval or denial of a particular transfer course in a program).
- Demonstrated satisfactory experience working collaboratively with a team; particularly serving as resources for other team members in questions of transfer credit, regulatory requirements, and academic advisement as well as PeopleSoft processes.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in a team oriented culture.
- Interest and aptitude for exploration of new methods of solving problems such as design thinking and other forms of workgroups.
- Independently assigning and completing his/her own workflow from an existing queue.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- History of volunteering and being part of a team(s) for projects that facilitate student success, efficiency of workflow practices, and greater cross functional collaboration across several areas of the department/university;
- Experience handling advanced troubleshooting issues in systems;
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY.
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE.
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.