Office of Student Accounts
Non-Exempt, Regular, Full-Time, Pay Grade 11
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is seeking a Collections Specialist in the Office of Student Accounts (OSA). Reporting to the Supervisor of Collections the Collections Specialist performs tasks related to the collection and final resolution of student receivables and ensure all transactions are processed in accordance with UMUC, State and Federal policies and procedures while adhering to the OSA quality assurance standards.
Hours for this position are Monday through Friday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm EST.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Discusses account information with responsible parties via phone, email and tickets, analyzes accounts to determine accuracy, initiates adjustments and contacts appropriate department/agency.
- Responds to student inquiries in a timely and accurate manner.
- Provide financial information regarding payment responsibilities and assists students with arranging methods of liquidating past due account balances; proactively researches students' addresses and telephone numbers using available collection tools and resources.
- Gathers information and prepares documentation to refer accounts to the collection agency and when necessary contacts debtors and communicates need for payment.
- Ensures payments are properly applied to student accounts makes decisions regarding requests for deviations from the expected payment terms.
- Responds to incoming correspondence.
- Keys information into the accounts receivable system and is responsible for maintaining audit trails.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or GED and a minimum of four (4) years related experience in customer service or financial operations.
- In addition, the position requires general knowledge of collections techniques and the laws pertaining to debt collection; working knowledge of techniques used in collecting, compiling, and organizing data and information; and knowledge of office equipment, software, and its application.
- Must have ability to apply basic analytical skills; perform mathematical computations; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; and establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Qualified candidates will have demonstrated computer literacy skills specifically with Microsoft Excel.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Candidates with Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher learning and who have knowledge and experience using PeopleSoft; who have knowledge and experience of Goldmine or similar CRM software; who have knowledge of ticketing systems to communicate with students; and who have knowledge and familiarity with ACD/Queue groups are preferred.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.