Director, Spectrum Policy & Engineering
Connecting the World Through Innovation:
Intelsat is connecting the world and transforming the satellite landscape by reaching beyond the traditional satellite industry. We are defining new products that will open new, profitable markets. To help us reach this goal, you should be a bold thinker who will perform a key role in shaping Intelsat innovation for years to come.
Does this look like your next role?
In support of Intelsat's current and future business plans as the Director, Spectrum Policy (Americas) & Engineering you will champion and drive the strategic planning, management and oversight of all Spectrum engineering activities and manage and execute spectrum strategy in the Americas region (ITU Region 2). You will lead the frequency coordination process for Intelsat satellites and develop an overall filing strategy to acquire Spectrum assets to achieve corporate objectives. In addition, you will manage the company's interests before the FCC and other regulators and regulatory bodies in the Americas, and actively contribute to proceedings related to spectrum policy affairs. This includes active participation in ITU-R and CITEL meetings in collaboration with Intelsat colleagues representing other regions.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Impacts you will make:
- Assume a global view of the development and execution of ITU filings strategy across all administrations in order to acquire spectrum assets that advance Intelsat's objectives, and align with current and future business plans.
- Translate strategies into actionable roadmap and plans and oversee implementation.
- Oversee and lead frequency coordination activities. Review and advise on technical material to be used in coordination meetings with other operators taking full ownership for the goals and the results.
- Maximize the latest tools and methods to include development of tools to streamline the workload.
- Provide leadership and motivation to direct reports, and their supporting teams.
- Actively participate in fleet deployment strategy to ensure that preservation of Intelsat Spectrum assets. Provide periodic updates to management of slot utilization.
- Contribute to Spectrum team business development, including new satellite concepts and mission design.
- Interface with and provide subject matter expertise help to internal stakeholders.
- Manage departmental budget and coordinate with consultants as needed
You should definitely have:
- A 4-year degree in Electrical or Telecommunications Engineering.
- At least 15-years of experience in satellite communications and regulatory affairs, including in depth experience of transmission and interference analysis.
- A proven track record of successful positioning through effective negotiation skills and the demonstrated ability to strategically assess evolving positions during coordination meetings with other satellite operators.
- Deep understanding of ITU Regulation and the ability to discuss effectively both internally and externally with different constituents.
- Experience working with the Federal Communications Commission.
- Self-motivation and a non-hierarchical yet collaborative attitude.
- Strong communications skills including excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills displaying a collegial and cooperative spirit
- Sound analytical, writing and organizational abilities
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team environment, manage external consultant relationships and collaborate with internal clients
- Ability to interact effectively with people of various cultural backgrounds.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software suite (MS Excel, Access, Word and Outlook).
But it would be nice if you had:
- A graduate degree in Electrical or Telecommunications Engineering and/or an MBA.
What it's like to work with us:
- We emphasize personal and professional growth
- We are customer focused and collaborative
- Awesome benefits including informal work environment, flexible work arrangements, generous 401(k) plan, PTO, medical, tuition reimbursement, and training
- Fun, diverse, and inclusive culture
- This role is subject to ITAR; candidates must be a US Person (this includes US Citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Individual such as an asylee or refugee).
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.