Software Engineer II (Web Developer)
Position Opening: Software Engineer II (Web Developer)
Department: Legislative Computer Systems
Office of the Clerk
U.S. House of Representatives
Starting Salary: Up to $105,219
Closing Date: November 27, 2018
The Office of the Clerk for the U.S. House of Representatives is seeking a dynamic and innovative Software Engineer II (Microsoft MVC and Web Forms .NET Developer) to join a development team that is dedicated to building and enhancing systems for use by Members of Congress, Committees, other internal agencies, and the public. This position will focus on designing, developing and maintaining intuitive and reliable web applications and services as well as participate in system planning, analysis, and data modeling efforts.
- Serves as an internal technical advisor on the computerization, architecture, design, and application of electronic information/computer systems; designs, encodes, tests, and debugs systems, programs, and modules or user-defined modifications.
- Responsible for analyzing computer technical problems, evaluating improvements and benefits which could be derived from modifications of existing systems, and developing plans to address issues, problems, and concerns in a cost-effective manner.
- Organizes and controls analysis of computer system requirements and development of procedures for implementation, programming and/or maintenance of computer systems.
- Learn and evaluates user needs and requirements, and then determines steps required to develop or modify computer program.
- Understands and supports other services of the Legislative Computer Systems (LCS) and coordinates efforts with vendors, other departments, and users in the Clerk’s office.
- Accepts performance-based criticism and direction, meets attendance requirements as established by the office and works a flexible schedule including long hours, nights and weekends when necessary, willingness to accept overtime on short notice.
- Maintains a good working relationship with other LCS staff. works cooperatively and courteously with others, works well under pressure and handles stress appropriately.
- Performs other official duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Three or more years of experience building and maintaining ASP.NET web applications using Web Forms and/or MVC and connecting with various backend data sources (APIs, CMS information, SQL/NoSQL databases, and XML/JSON file content).
- Strong SQL Server and database knowledge and experience.
- Responsive design using CSS, Bootstrap (or similar frameworks).
- A strong desire to research and study new emerging technologies for consideration in future and ongoing development efforts.
- Other technologies and experiences of interest, but are not required:
- Cloud Services (ex. Azure and AWS)
- Unit test automation as well as load/performance testing for websites and services
- Search Engine development and implementation using Elastic, SOLR and/or Microsoft Search Services
- Experience with Agile Methodologies and practices
Contact: No telephone inquiries please. Interested individuals may fax, mail, or email a cover letter and resume to:
The Office of the Clerk
Legislative Computer Systems
Attn: Mr. Kyle Donahue
2401 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D. C. 20515
Hiring for this position is governed by the Veterans Employment Opportunities Act. Applicants seeking veterans’ preference consideration should email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Continued employment is contingent upon satisfactorily completing a criminal history records check. Employment with the U.S. House of Representatives is at-will. EOE.