Information Technology Specialist (INFOSEC)
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Applicants must meet all the required qualification requirements, including education, and any selective placement factors described below by the closing date of this announcement.
If you are qualifying based on education OR if there are mandatory education requirements listed below, you MUST submit a copy of your college transcript with your application.
NOTE: Applicants must meet time-in-grade and time after competitive appointment requirements, by the closing date of this announcement.
Applicants applying for the GS-11 grade level must meet one of the following requirements:
A. Have a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree from an accredited or pre-accredited institution in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management;
OR B. Have a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree from an accredited or pre-accredited institution that provided a MINIMUM of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified in Choice A above AND required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks;
OR C. Have 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree from an accredited or pre-accredited institution in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management;
OR D. Have 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree from an accredited or pre-accredited institution that provided a MINIMUM of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified in Choice A above AND required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks;
OR E. Have IT-related experience demonstrating EACH of the four competencies AND specialized experience listed below:
- Attention to Detail - conscientious about details
- Customer Service - provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations
- Oral Communication - communicate technical requirements to non-technical personnel
- Problem Solving - uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations
AND Have at least 1 full year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level in the Federal service which provided you with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the position. Qualifying specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- Experience in information security principles/concepts and emerging developments sufficient to implement cybersecurity methods and practices in areas such as intrusion detection and workstation hardening, in order to minimize system vulnerabilities
- Experience in interrelationships of multiple IT specialties; the Bureau’s IT architecture and landscape; current IT applications; and the potential applicability of emerging technologies to CA business processes
- Experience providing technical advice within the emerging cybersecurity field to other IT specialists, managers, and employees in order to promote awareness of Department and US government cybersecurity goals and objectives
- Experience providing solutions to integration/interoperability issues; implement and administer systems that meet current and future business requirements; understand and apply the existing architecture; ensure rigorous security standards are met; communicate technical requirements to nontechnical personnel; prepare a variety of technical documents
NOTE: In order to qualify for this position, your experience MUST be IT related; the experience may be demonstrated by paid or unpaid experience and/or completion of specific, intensive training (i.e., IT certification), as appropriate.
See the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement for education requirements, if applicable.
EMPLOYMENT ELIGIBILITY VERIFICATION PROGRAM (E-Verify) – U.S. law requires organizations to employ only individuals who may legally work in the United States - either U.S. citizens, or foreign citizens who have the necessary authorization. This agency utilizes E-Verify to compare information from the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to data from U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Social Security Administration (SSA) records to confirm employment eligibility. If the employee’s information does not match DHS and/or SSA records, the employee is given an opportunity to resolve the problem. If eligibility cannot be verified, employment will be terminated.
For reasonable accommodation at the U.S. Department of State, please contact the Office of Accessibility and Accommodations at (202) 663-3474 or ReasonableAccommodations@state.gov.
More than one selection may be made from this announcement if additional vacancies in the same title, series, grade, and unit occur.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Under the provisions of the Direct-Hire Authority, veterans' preference does not apply.
For this announcement, all applicants will be reviewed to determine if they meet the qualifications for this position, specifically the education, specialized experience, and knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) necessary to perform the work of the position. Applicants will not be rated or ranked. All applications that are verified to meet the required qualifications will be referred to the selecting official in the order in which the applications were received.
All answers provided in the on-line process must be substantiated by a resume. If, upon review, it is determined that your resume and/or supporting documents do not support your answer choices, your application will be removed from further consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following knowledge, skills, abilities (KSAs) and other characteristics that are relevant to the duties of this position and must be fully supported by information in your resume:
- Knowledge of IT life cycle management concepts
- Knowledge of IT specialty areas (e.g., application system design, database management, computer equipment, software, systems)
- Ability to apply statues, policies, and regulations governing information technology
- Ability to make decisions based on information from a wide variety of sources
- Knowledge of, and experience in, IT systems and/or telecommunications networks
- Ability to apply program management principles, methods, and practices
Your resume serves as the basis for qualification determinations and must highlight your most relevant and significant work experience and education (if applicable) as it relates to this job opportunity. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Your resume should include the dates of all qualifying experience (from month/year to month/year) and the number of hours worked/volunteered per week. For assistance with creating a resume, please click
Please ensure that your resume and narrative responses provide enough detailed information to support your answers to the self-assessment questions.
Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) candidates must be well qualified for the position to receive consideration for special priority. Candidates are considered well qualified if their knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) exceed the minimum qualifications described in the announcement.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement. Your application package must contain sufficient information to make a valid determination that you fully meet the basic/specialized experience requirements as stated in this job opportunity announcement for each grade level(s) for which you are applying.
Traditional rating and ranking of applications does not apply. All applicants interested in this position must apply online in order to receive consideration.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Top Secret Drug test required Yes