Admin Division Director (Park Division Director)
Fairfax County is a dynamic community with 1.1 million residents, an award winning park system, a top-notch school system, safe neighborhoods, and bustling town centers. At the heart of the community is the nationally recognized leader the Fairfax County Park Authority. A large and complex park system encompassing over 24,000 acres of land, 427 parks, 500 full-time employees, 2,500 seasonal employees and over 2,000 volunteers. The Park Authority is seeking an innovative, collaborative and highly experienced individual to lead the Park Authority's Administrative Division. Reporting to the Park Authority Executive Director, the Administration Services Division Director provides leadership, direction and oversight to mission critical and cross agency business functions for Authority. Working under limited supervision from the director's office and working collaboratively with the five divisions of the Park Authority, the business functions include management of Finance, Budget, Purchasing, Human Capital (human resources) and Automation Services (information technology).
Builds and sustains the capacity of the administration division and provides exemplary stewardship through the monitoring of accounting, finance, IT, administrative and business systems and procedures. Focuses on leading, planning, implementing and managing the reporting branches and will develop and lead implementation of strategic initiatives to enhance the performance of the branches and advance the mission of the Park Authority collaboratively. Ensures that management and operational policies and procedures are in place and followed, to make certain the operational activities are efficient and in-line with approved budgetary allocations, and meets all legal, ethical, Human Rights and Employment Standard requirements. Implements internal controls, finance policies and procedures, administrative and IT systems to confirm that the organization's day-to-day operational activities are efficient and effective, and are in-line with approved strategic initiatives and budgetary allocations.
Develop a collaborative team approach across the Park Authority. Leads strategic initiatives that advance the organization. Identifies, analyzes, and prepares risk mitigation tactics. Identifies and manages organizational process improvements. Ensures on-going communications with the five divisions and the directors office. Supports organization development and change initiatives. Supports and engages the agency leadership team, staff matrix teams and senior leaders. Defines and measures performance metrics, monitor and ensure progress. Coaches and supervises staff. If you have experience leading a high performing organization and would like to join a creative, collaborative, innovative team doing meaningful work, then this is the job for you.
- Supervises a staff of professionals and has overall responsibility for all programs within their assigned functional area;
- Supervises preparation of the division's budget, participates in presentation of the budget to the Park Authority Board, and monitors program expenditures;
- Evaluates and reports on the effectiveness of division programs;
- Conducts service needs assessments;
- Prepares, presents, and is held accountable for implementation of the Park Authority's annual plan as it relates to the assigned functional area(s);
- Ensures that division plans and programs complement agency goals and objectives;
- Provides an independent liaison with, and support to the Park Advisory Board and other boards and commissions for issues with in the assigned functional area(s);
- Provides staff support to the Park Authority Board;
- Oversees special project work directed by the Board of Supervisors, Park Authority Board and/or agency director;
- Represents the agency in meetings with public and private-sector officials and citizen groups.
As Director of the Administration Division
- Manages the Administration Division, overseeing the agency's centralized information technology, budget and finance, contract administration, grant coordination, procurement, personnel, training, safety and risk management functions; and Acts for the Director on administrative, fiscal, budget, personnel, risk management, information technology and purchasing matters.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of the principles, methods and challenges of organization and management;
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration;
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of the assigned functional area;
- Oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated skills in needs assessment and strategic planning;
- Ability to plan and direct the activities of a large staff;
- Ability to plan and conduct staff development programs.
- Ability to evaluate programs against pertinent standards;
- Ability to prepare and present clear, concise financial and administrative reports;
- Ability to develop and evaluate budget requests and project future expenditures;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to keep abreast of developments in the field;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships peers, other County employees, Board members, public and private sector officials and citizen groups.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to: graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree appropriate to the functional area (recreation, park management, business administration, etc.); plus five years of administrative experience in the appropriate functional area.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background investigation and a driver record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
- 10 years of continually progressive growth and leadership experience in an organization, demonstrated success.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Detail oriented with the ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Works well independently and with minimal direction; and works effectively both leading and as a participant on teams.
- Knowledge and experience with process improvement and strategic planning.
Job is generally sedentary. Ability to use keyboard-driven equipment. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations. Duties can be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.