Program Assistant - Embassy of Canada
The Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C. is seeking to hire a(n) Program Assistant .
Position title: Program Assistant
Section: Economic and Trade
Location: Embassy of Canada, Washington, D.C.
Position no: EXT-420345
Starting salary: $59,043 USD plus benefits
Competition no: 2762
Date posted: 10/26/2018
Closing date: 11/11/2018 06:00:00 PM EST.
Employment Tenure: Indeterminate
This staffing process may be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and similar positions with various tenures, including indeterminate, term, assignment/ transfer, and acting opportunities at the Embassy.
CANDIDATES CAN ONLY APPLY VIA THE LINK BELOW:
- Persons living in the greater Washington Metropolitan area.
- Employees of the Embassy of Canada in Washington, DC.
- Employees of any Canadian Mission in the United States. Relocation will not be paid in any circumstance.
- Spouses and dependents of Canada-based staff at the Embassy of Canada.
All applicants must:
- Have independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with United States protocol directives for foreign missions.
- Reside in the United States.
- Meet all of the Essential Requirements stated below.
- Submit resumes and cover letters by the closing date. The covering letter must:
- Demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements under language, education and experience;
- Confirm residency in the United States;
- Confirm independent work authorization in the United States.
Note: Failure to provide any of the information required above will result in your application being rejected. All communication relating to this process, including email correspondence may be used in the assessment of qualifications.
Summary of duties:
Reporting to the Minister (Economic), the Program Assistant provides program and administrative services and support to a senior official in order to meet the objectives and goals of the Embassy’s Trade and Economic Section. The primary responsibilities include all aspects of administrative support, including related office management (e.g. calendar, basic correspondence), budgets and financial administration (e.g. travel, hospitality, service contracts), events/visits coordination, record keeping, and other duties as required.
Condition of employment (must be met):
- Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status which includes a criminal and credit background check; and
- Independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with U.S. protocol directives for foreign missions.
Candidates must demonstrate clearly how they meet the Education and Experience requirements listed below:
English (The ability to work in French would be an asset.)
A degree from an accredited university or college, or an acceptable combination of relevant experience, education and training.
- Two (2) years or more of experience in office management in an automated environment, including providing administrative support to a senior official;
- Experience in financial administration, budgets, and the preparation of reports;
- Experience in records / information management;
- Extensive experience using Microsoft Office suite software, e.g., Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint; and
- Experience organizing visits and events.
Candidates who meet the Education and Experience requirements will be assessed on the following qualifications. The assessment may be a written test, an interview, an in-basket exercise, a skills test, or any combination of these methods.
- Knowledge of office management / administrative policies, procedures, and best practices; and
- Knowledge and proficiency in computer software, including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing;
- Manage the office of a senior Embassy official, dealing tactfully with highly sensitive and confidential information;
- Provide exceptional client service in person, by telephone, and electronically;
- Assess and evaluate budgetary and other information effectively;
- Assess and evaluate budgetary information and provide budget-related briefings and reports to managers
- Plan, prioritize and organize work, with attention to accuracy, details and deadlines;
- Follow through with tasks to ensure completion
- Work independently when required and as a team member;
- Take initiative to identify and solve problems.
- Effective interpersonal skills;
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Sound judgement;
- Discretion: handle sensitive and confidential information on a need‐to‐know basis; and
- The ability to work in French would be an asset;
- Prior work experience within a diplomatic environment; and
- Knowledge of the basic structure of the Canadian Government, including the mandate of Global Affairs Canada.
The staffing process will consist of a review of all applications to ensure that applicants meet the essential requirements. Failure to meet any of the essential requirements eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition. Only those applicants who meet these will be contacted by the Human Resources Section for an interview or other form of assessment of the Rated Requirements.
The assessment may include an interview, a written test and other tests that will consist of a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant's knowledge, abilities and personal suitability for the position.
The Embassy offers a competitive salary, generous leave and a strong benefits package to include medical, dental, long term and short term disability, and a retirement savings plan to name a few.
The Embassy is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes.
Method of application:
Hours of work:
Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of Employment for Locally Engaged Staff (LES) in the United States of 37.5 hours per week. The incumbent will be required to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends on an as-needed basis. The incumbent may be required to work hours in excess of 37.5 hours some weeks.