Academic Specialist I
Academic Specialist I
Communication, Arts & Humanities Department
The Undergraduate School (TUS)
Regular, Non-Exempt, 100% Full-Time, Pay Grade 1.3
Location: Largo, MD
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks an Academic Specialist I in the Communication, Arts & Humanities Department in The Undergraduate School (TUS). The Academic Specialist I will serve as a primary point of contact for faculty, staff and students for all administrative and policy issues regarding the academic program for their respective academic department.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Supports the Program Chair of Foreign Languages and East Asian Studies and the Communication, Arts & Humanities Department by providing administrative support. This position will report to the Program Chair of Foreign Languages and East Asian Studies but also will be working with the Associate Administrative Director.
- Assists in staffing in PeopleSoft and resolution of scheduling conflicts.
- Assists in preparation and review of classroom checks as needed for courses each semester.
- Receives and screens telephone calls and independently handles procedural and substantive matters and inquiries from faculty, staff, and students.
- Manages and tracks missing grades and faculty appointment documents.
- Provides back up support for the Associate Administrative Director with UMUC systems.
- Maintains established databases and may generate standardized reports.
- Assists program chair in processing paperwork to hire faculty and teaching assistants and helps coordinate promotions and contract renewals.
- Manages all the procedures related to the language placement exam.
- Coordinates communication to program faculty and teaching assistants.
- Monitors and updates the COMM departmental and program ENGAGE pages.
- Monitors the COMM Department's and program's email inboxes and takes actions as needed.
- Acts as liaison between the department and Human Resources, Facilities and Information Technology as needed.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- 1-2 year's demonstrated experience in an administrative position.
- Strong customer service and interpersonal communication skills
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of a foreign language is not required but is helpful.
- 1-3 years in administrative experience, preferably in academic administration.
- Experience with Google Suite and Microsoft Office.
- Preferred proficiency with PeopleSoft and other software used by the department, but will train.
- Must possess a willingness to learn new and use new technology.
- Must possess judgment to know when to escalate issues.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY.
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE.
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.