Attorney-Adviser (General), GS-0905-12/13/14 (KD-Exc Svc)
Occasional travel - Average 1-3 nights per month
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
- If selected for this position, you may be required to file one or more financial statements and/or a procurement integrity certification of compliance upon reporting and annually, some of which may be subject to public disclosure.
- Because this position requires travel for official business, the selectee will be required to apply for a charge card within 30 calendar days of appointment. Individuals who have delinquent account balances from a previous Government charge card will be required to satisfy their existing obligation before a new card can be issued.
- Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
In order to better assess your qualifications for this position, when preparing your resume please be sure to address your experience in or familiarity with the following areas of legal work: researching and writing legal memoranda and opinions and providing legal advice or recommendations to clients, judges, and/or senior attorneys; litigating in Federal court and preparing transactional agreements and other documents; and evidentiary privileges and e-discovery, including familiarity with technology associated with the electronic search, retrieval, and review of documents. In addition, please address your experience in or familiarity with the following subject matter areas and legal authorities: Federal administrative law issues, such as matters arising under the Administrative Procedure Act (including rulemaking), the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act, and the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act of 1975.
Basic Qualification Requirements
Applicants must be law school graduates with LL.B. or J.D. degrees AND applicants must be an active member in good standing of a state, territory of the United States, District of Columbia, or Commonwealth of Puerto Rico bar.
Applicants must also meet one of the following:
--possess at least 1-year of professional legal experience following law school graduation; OR
--have a second professional law degree; OR
--meet any of the criteria indicated below:
(a) academic standing in top one-third of law school graduating class;
(b) graduation with academic honors;
(c) significant participation on the law school’s law review;
(d) significant participation in the law school’s moot court competition;
(e) significant participation in a clinical legal aid program;
(f) significant summer law office clerk experience; or
(g) other equivalent evidence of clearly superior achievement.
In addition to meeting the basic qualification requirements described above, applicants must also have the following additional years of professional legal experience for the grade level indicated:
--GS-12 = 1 year
--GS-13 = 2 years
--GS-14 = 3 ½ years
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.
- Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/foreign.html.
- Identification of promotion potential in this announcement does not constitute a commitment or an obligation on the part of management to promote the employee selected at some future date. Promotion will depend upon administrative approval and the continuing need for and performance of higher-level duties.
- The application contains information subject to the Privacy Act (P.L. 93-579, 5 USC 552a). The information is used to determine qualifications for employment, and is authorized under Title 5, USC, Section 3302 and 3361.
- DOI uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
- THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
--The information and materials you provide will be used to evaluate that you meet the basic qualification and eligibility requirements for this position.
--Basis of Rating: Applicants will not be rated or ranked. All applicants that meet the basic eligibility and qualification requirements of the position will be referred to the selecting official for consideration.
To preview questions please click here.