Sales Business Development Manager
The Chronicle of Philanthropy seeks a Manager, Sales & Business Development who will be responsible for business development for The Chronicle of Philanthropy with clients at private foundations, corporate foundations, nonprofit infrastructure groups, and other sophisticated institutions. The manager develops relationships with these clients and others interested in building thought-leadership and achieving other goals through advertising products and partnerships. The manager reports to the Director, Business and Operations and assists with overall business strategy and product development for The Chronicle of Philanthropy and in building partnerships that extend the Chronicle’s reach.
- Identify, shape, and close sales of high-growth revenue opportunities involving foundations, nonprofit infrastructure groups, and other sophisticated clients. Collaborate with advertisers to understand what content will resonate best and produce the desired results with our audience, which includes the chief executives of some of America’s biggest philanthropies and nonprofits.
- Build and maintain senior-level relationships with current and prospective client decision-makers, industry influencers, and strategic partners.
- Work closely with corporate and institutional advertising staff to pitch and deliver programs to clients.
- Work across business lines when needed to provide clients with comprehensive solutions to their needs.
- Develop partnerships that produce revenue for The Chronicle while extending its editorial reach.
- Help business and sales teams better understand revenue opportunities for The Chronicle of Philanthropy.
- Identify significant trends in thought-leadership needs for foundations and other sophisticated clients and develop solutions to address product and service gaps in Chronicle offerings. Incubate ideas with promise and make a business case for extending them after initial experimentation.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; MBA, MPA, or advanced degree in nonprofit management preferred.
- Experience with business-to-business sales and the foundation grant-making process, with the ability to engage actively in both publishing company culture and the nonprofit sector.
- Demonstrated experience in driving and achieving revenue results.
- Demonstrated success in transforming the ways customers are served to enhance or grow those relationships.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills with the confidence and ability to effectively present and make meaningful contributions in meetings and events with senior decision-makers and industry influencers.
- Experience in setting, managing and achieving priorities to inspire and reinforce a high-performing culture.
- Proven ability to contribute both strategically and tactically with a focus on metrics and accountability.
- Clear understanding and affinity for sustaining and supporting the highest journalistic standards.
- Proficiency in the use of technology tools, sales reporting tools and databases required to track, monitor, and report on sales trends, forecasts, and performance vs. budget
- Significant on-the-job training in managing multiple priorities, developing processes and systems for operational excellence, and instilling a metrics-based approach to strategy and operations.
- Special consideration will be given to candidates with a history of work at a foundation or nonprofit as a program officer or in foundation relations.
We’d love to hear from you. Send your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Business Development" in the subject heading.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply for Sales Business Development Manager
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly