Director, Advancement Technology Services
Come join a team of dedicated staff at an exceptional time in Smithsonian history, as the Institution implements a new comprehensive strategic plan and expands the programming, educational, and scholarly activity of its museums and research centers. Following a successful national campaign, the Smithsonian has built a model fundraising organization, one that will meet the growing needs of this unique organization and offer excellent professional opportunities. This position offers exciting opportunities for the successful candidate to make a significant impact on the future of the Smithsonian.
The Director for Advancement Technology Services is a hands-on leader for technology supporting advancement, responsible for assessing, designing, implementing and operating systems and processes that support the functions of advancement. The incumbent also oversees system operations, technical support, and data integrity for the Smithsonian’s Institution’s fundraising organization. The Director uses systems analysis, technical expertise, and a comprehensive knowledge of the fundraising business function to resolve highly complex operational issues and meet the philanthropic objectives of the Smithsonian. This is an exceptional opportunity for an energetic professional with demonstrated success. This senior level position will add value by:
- Identifying and implementing opportunities to improve the Advancement function Smithsonian wide through technology, process improvement and other efficiencies.
- Advocating for systems and technology with the user community through continuously improving end-user support, data quality, functionality and usability.
- Ensuring maximum up-time and performance of the Advancement Information System and OA desktops, including application upgrades, OS and server patching, security compliance, production processing and database tuning.
- Training, coaching and managing the Advancement Technology Services team to provide superior customer service.
Qualified candidates will have:
- Demonstrated experience with advancement information systems evaluation, implementation and operation, including experience with large and complex databases including specific technologies and best practices in data integration, query design, data validation/automation, analytic functions, electronic data warehouses, ETL (extract, transform, load) and relational database structure.
- Excellent track record of user support.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in advocating for and delivering technology in support of the business function.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate problems, identify opportunities, and take a proactive approach to project management.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to train, mentor, direct, and validate the work of team members, previous supervisory experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, presentation skills, and the ability to build relationships and inspire others.
- Curious, creative and collaborative approach to challenges.
Ten years of directly related experience, demonstrating technical acumen and user satisfaction is required.
The Office of Advancement oversees and guides the fundraising efforts of the entire Smithsonian and is home to the central advancement organization for the Institution. In addition to raising significant support for a variety of Smithsonian initiatives, the Office of Advancement provides support services to advancement offices across the Institution. The office engages with staff throughout the Smithsonian in accomplishing their goals.
The Smithsonian Institution is a unique complex of 19 museums and galleries, the National Zoological Park, and nine research centers. The Smithsonian is a national and world treasure and is dedicated to its founding mission, “the increase and diffusion of knowledge.” Its exhibitions, programs, collections, and outreach touch the lives of millions of Americans every year, as well as many who visit us from abroad.
The Smithsonian Institution offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive package of benefits. This is not a Federal Position, but has similar requirements and benefits. To learn more about the Smithsonian, please visit www.si.edu. Interested candidates should submit their resumes and a cover letter by November 18, 2018 to email@example.com. Please include the position title in your e-mail subject line.
The Smithsonian Institution is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.