HJF is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow to support the Williamson Lab at the Department of Microbiology and Immunology located at the Uniformed Services University (USU) in Bethesda, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to the Department of Microbiology and Immunology.
To apply please click the following link: https://careers.hjf.org/jobs/3247598-postdoctoral-fellow
This position will evaluate the development of protection against human malaria using a systems biology approach in a collaborative project between the Williamson Laboratory at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences and the Center for Human Immunology at the National Institutes of Health. This unique position will provide candidate with both traditional research experience, as well as clinical research coordination management experience. A PhD and experience in immunology or systems biology is required.
Immunophenotyping, transcriptional profiling and Ig repertoire analysis will be used to assess the maturation of the humoral and cellular immune response through repetitive controlled human malaria infections. The results will be compared with clinical outcomes to identify specific responses that correlate with protection and the information used to develop new vaccine strategies.
1. Assists in designing, developing, executing, and implementing scientific research and/or development.
2. Investigates the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and theories to potential inventions and products.
3. Performs specialized laboratory research utilizing experimental protocols which will involve procedures such as immunophenotyping, transcriptional profiling and Ig repertoire analysis to assess the maturation of the humoral and cellular immune response through repetitive controlled human malaria infections. The results will be compared with clinical outcomes to identify specific responses that correlate with protection and the information used to develop new vaccine strategies.
4. Collects and handles samples and keeps detailed records of experiments.
5. Assists with the preparation of data for presentations at scientific meetings and for publication in journals.
6. Assists with training laboratory staff as needed.
7. Maintains cleanliness of laboratory areas.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of appropriate scientific area; ability to analyze and interpret data
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: PhD in immunology or systems biology or a closely related scientific discipline
Physical Capabilities: Long periods of standing and sitting; intricate work with hands; carrying of light and moderately heavy laboratory equipment
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: May provide guidance to laboratory staff
Work Environment: Laboratory environment; may involve working with biohazardous materials; may require working evenings and weekends
Background: Eligibility to obtain a Common Access Card (CAC); eligibility to obtain and hold a Public Trust background.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.