Administrative and Office Specialist III
7 days left
- Full Time
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Low- to mid-$30,000s; commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
The George Mason University Office of Admissions is seeking a dynamic and creative individual to fill the position of Event Coordinator. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
This position reports directly to the Event Manager in the Office of Admissions. The successful candidate will serve as a planner and point of contact between the Office of Admissions and event attendees, events management staff, vendors, and internal and external constituents including faculty and staff.
This position work in collaboration with the Director of Global Partnerships to serve as the primary point of contact and coordinator for international enrollment events including, but not limited to, hosting visiting delegations, and planning and scheduling related conferences and student programming. In addition, the incumbent provides event support and execution for events hosted by the Office of Admissions for the purpose of recruiting prospective students at the freshman, transfer, non-degree, international and graduate levels. Responsibilities include the planning and implementation of 30-50 on-campus open houses and special events each year, ranging from 30 to 3,000 people.
Responsibilities include the planning and implementation of 30-50 on-campus open houses and special events each year, ranging from 30 to 3,000 people. This position will also co-lead the Washington Scholars Program logistics team, which hosts high school residential summer conferences each year. The incumbent provides pre-event, on-site, and post-event planning and execution for events hosted by the Office of Admissions for the purpose of recruiting prospective students at the freshman, transfer, non-degree, international and graduate levels.
Detailed Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with the Event Manager in all aspects of planning for recruitment and yield events, global initiatives events, and other special events hosted by the Office of Admissions;
- Live on campus for three weeks each summer as part of the Washington Scholars Program;
- Serve as the primary event liaison for various admissions events throughout the summer and academic year;
- Manage registration processes and communicate with visitors and registered attendees;
- Process fiscal paperwork and payments for general event expenses and college fairs;
- Request and file room reservations for office meetings and events using the 25Live reservation system;
- Provide pre-event, day-of, and post-event assistance for each office event;
- Assist with setup/breakdown support and some strenuous physical work;
- Maintain and organize the officeâ€™s event storage room and implement an event inventory tracking process;
- Conduct event research and evaluations for attendees, vendors, department representatives, and Admissions staff, and analyze results for event records; and
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree, or an equivalent combination of education/training and experience;
- Must be extremely detail-oriented, have excellent organizational and multitasking skills, have a passion for events, and a dedication for creating a high-quality guest experience;
- Must be willing to work independently in a fast-paced environment;
- Must be willing to frequently work nights and weekends;
- Must be available and willing to work a full day on the day before and day of each major event, which includes some weekends; week-of preparations include several evening work hours and physical labor;
- Demonstrated event planning experience, including nonprofessional experience and volunteer work;
- Outgoing personalityâ€”applicant should be flexible, hospitable, gracious, assertive, motivated, independent, creative, resourceful, and have an ability to solve problems calmly and quickly;
- Strong listening and comprehension skillsâ€”applicant must be able to listen to instructions carefully and correctly follow directions;
- Strong communication skillsâ€”applicants should write clearly, be able to follow written directions, and be able to speak effectively in front of large groups;
- Attention to detail is an important quality of the successful applicant;
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office, especially Excel, Publisher and Word;
- Physical laborâ€”ability to safely and independently move up to 50 pounds and ability to stand for long periods of time;
- Neat, clean, and well-groomed appearance, and business casual/professional attire;
- Comfortable working with diverse populations; and
- Possess a valid driverâ€™s license.
- Advanced Excel skills;
- Bachelorâ€™s degree in a related field (e.g., hospitality, tourism, event management);
- Collaborative work style
- Bilingual; and
- Previous experience working on a college campus.
Employment offer is contingent on meeting eligibility requirements for operating state-owned vehicles per Policy 1411: Vehicle Use Procedures. (https://universitypolicy.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Policy-1411-Vehicle-Use-Procedures-Change-082316.pdf)
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 10330z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :