Staff Accountant I
We are the oldest and largest global professional membership organization representing the field of endocrinology. Our members come from 122 countries, with 40 percent living outside the United States. We are unique in that our members are not only on the frontier of breakthrough research discoveries, but they also apply this knowledge in the treatment of patients with hundreds of debilitating hormone-related diseases and conditions.
We are passionate about our mission and are actively seeking a Staff Accountant who will engage cross-departmentally to support the strategic direction of the organization. Under the direction of the Director of Finance & Controller, the incumbent will be responsible for verifying daily cash activity received through netForum, the Society’s Association Management System (AMS); working closely with the content licensing team to bill and track all sales; and reconciling monthly corporate travel and credit cards. The incumbent will have a strong working knowledge of netForum accounting and report modules, billing and cash receipts procedures, and general accounting principles.
What you’ll bring to the job:
- A minimum of 2-3 years of related professional experience in accounting, with a bachelors from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in accounting, business, or finance. CPA or CPA candidate preferred but not required.
- Experience in A/P, A/R, cash receipts and routine account reconciliations in a complex cost center environment strongly preferred.
- Experience with association management systems, preferably Abila netForum, strongly preferred.
- Good research, analysis, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Effective accounting and organizational skills.
- An excellent eye for detail.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of GAAP.
- Above-average Microsoft Excel skills and solid proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically in Adobe, Word, and Outlook. Strong proficiency with Great Plains or similar accounting systems, particularly accounts receivable and general ledger modules.
We believe in and empower our staff. We know that with our investment in their growth, they have an even greater potential to contribute to our organization. Our core values embody the character and culture of our staff – they guide our decision making, interactions and how we serve our members. As an organization, we are committed to: demonstrating responsible stewardship, treating one another with trust and mutual respect, supporting work life balance, sustaining an inclusive environment, and fostering an environment that encompasses communication, service, collaboration, results & innovation.
What you’ll own:
Verifying and Reconciling Abila netForum Cash Receipts:
- Working with Member Services to review, close and post all netForum cash batches.
- Reviewing and verifying adjustment and refund batches.
- Downloading daily online corporate credit card activity, reconciling to daily netForum sales, and researching discrepancies.
- Working with the Accounting Manager to maintain a detailed log of all netForum activity.
- Reviewing weekly revenue reports and coordinating with Member Services regarding status of open batches.
- Preparing and posting netForum batches to Microsoft Office Dynamics Great Plains using Integration Manager.
- Performing monthly close of netForum and preparing reconciliation reports for review.
- Preparing reconciliations of related general ledger accounts and researching all discrepancies.
- Serving as finance liaison at bi-weekly netForum AMS Core Team staff meetings and netForum Accounting User Group (AUG) meetings.
Preparing Content Licensing Invoices and Account Receivable Reports:
- Preparing custom billings based on orders and contract details transmitted from the content licensing team.
- Following up with outstanding A/R; working with the content licensing team to identify a course of action for overdue accounts.
- Maintaining accurate reports of annual sales & collections and reconciling the sales report with the content licensing team.
- Providing monthly, quarterly, and annual sales data by product and customer.
Reviewing and Reconciling Corporate Travel and Employee Credit Cards:
- Reviewing all corporate credit card reconciliations in PN3 for receipts, correct coding, and proper descriptions.
- Reconciling corporate credit card balances to the general ledger and maintaining a schedule of outstanding statement reconciliations.
- Downloading and reconciling corporate travel reports with the Society master travel spreadsheet; preparing and posting journal entry to record.
Assisting with Various Finance Department Activities and Responsibilities:
- Preparing all cash deposits.
- Reconciling postage escrow accounts.
- Supporting month and year end close and preparing multiple balance sheet, revenue and expense reconciliations.
What you’ll do well:
- Ensure that one's own and other's work and information are complete and accurate; follow up with others to ensure that agreements and commitments have been fulfilled. Set up procedures to organize and keep track of information/work progress to ensure high quality of work. Monitor the quality of work and act to verify information. Review and check the accuracy of information in work reports.
- Be relied upon to ensure that projects within areas of responsibility are completed in a timely manner. Monitor programs and/or activities and take corrective action when necessary.
- Demonstrate a proficient level of professional skill and/or knowledge in accounting and keep current with developments and trends. Demonstrate knowledge and ability to use applicable information technology and systems to meet work needs.
- Organize in sequential and/or logical order in preparation for accomplishing an objective. Demonstrate knowledge of a variety of computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, database and presentation software (Microsoft Office Products, AMS).
What you’ll get out of it:
- Working with a staff that has passion for our mission, believes in one another and has fun.
- The chance to work in an environment that empowers staff to take informed risks and create new programs and services.
- A chance to make a contribution in a fun job with room to make it your own.
- A strong and competitive salary and benefits package that focuses on your well-being and financial health.
Endocrine Society offers a convenient downtown DC location within walking distance of Farragut North/Farragut West and Foggy Bottom Metro stations. Qualified candidates interested in a purposeful work environment, competitive salaries and excellent benefits, including a generous TIAA- CREF retirement plan with 10% employer contribution, should submit resume and cover letter with salary requirements.
When applying to this position, you will be directed to an external job application site hosted by ADP. If you are a first-time user, please register for your unique login information before applying for this position.