Executive Director/ Federal Accounting Standards Advisory Board
Occasional travel - Domestic
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes The selectee may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses and/or a recruitment incentive.
1. You must be a Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
2. PROFESSIONAL/TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS (PTQs)
- The PTQs describe the necessary professional and technical knowledge, skills, and competencies needed to successfully perform the duties of this position. If you're a federal employee, this level of experience is typically gained as a GS-14 or GS-15.
- You must submit narrative statements to address the professional/technical qualifications (PTQs). Address all PTQs in a document that is 4 pages or less.
- You should include one or two examples of relevant experience per PTQ. For each example, describe your level of responsibility, scope and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments, policy initiatives undertaken, and the results of your actions.
- You should not enter "Refer to Resume" to describe your experiences. Applications directing the reviewer to search within the application or to see the resume are considered incomplete and may not receive further consideration.
The PTQs you must address are:
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience with financial accounting and reporting concepts and principles.
- Experience effectively communicating technical problems and solutions to audiences such as members of boards, Administration officials, Congressional staff, and citizens.
- Experience assembling and leading a diverse team of individuals to solve business or research issues.
- Experience contributing to accounting or auditing standards development, such as drafting proposed standards, responding to exposure drafts, serving on task forces, or participating in deliberations.
3. EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs)
- The ECQs were designed to assess executive experience and potential not technical expertise. They measure whether an individual has the broad executive skills needed to succeed in a variety of SES positions.
- Your resume must show evidence of progressively responsible leadership experience that is indicative of senior executive-level management capability and directly related to the ECQs. Your resume should emphasize your level of responsibility, scope and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments, policy initiatives undertaken, and the results of your actions. Do not address the ECQs in separate narrative statements.
- Refer to OPM’s Guide to Senior Executive Service Qualifications for background on the ECQs and developing your executive qualifications resume.
The five ECQs you must address are:
1. Leading Change: Describe your experience bringing about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals, establishing an organizational vision, and implementing it in a continuously changing environment.
2. Leading People: Describe your experience leading people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals, providing an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitating cooperation and teamwork, and supporting constructive resolution of conflicts.
3. Results Driven: Describe your experience meeting organizational goals and customer expectations, making decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
4. Business Acumen: Describe your experience managing human, financial, and information resources strategically.
5. Building Coalitions: Describe your experience building coalitions internally and with other federal agencies, state and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
A. Degree: accounting/auditing; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting/auditing. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law.
B. Combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of experience in accounting/auditing, or an equivalent combination of accounting/auditing experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting/auditing knowledge. Your background must also include one of the following:
- Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law; OR
- A certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; OR
- Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
ABOUT FASAB: The FASAB is an independent entity. The U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) provides personnel services to the Board and positions are covered under GAO's performance based compensation system, which is pay banded.
CAREER SES APPOINTMENT: You will be eligible for reinstatement to the SES as a career appointee or eligible for noncompetitive transfer to a career SES appointment in the civil service SES under GAO’s interchange agreement with the Office of Personnel Management (OPM).
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: GAO provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation, please email ReasonableAccommodations@gao.gov.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE: does not apply to this position.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
- Your application will be screened to determine if you meet the requirements listed in the announcement.
- A panel appointed by the Administrative Steering Committee will evaluate your executive experience and potential demonstrated in your application.
- A panel appointed by the Administrative Steering Committee will conduct interviews and make a recommendation to the Board's chairperson.
- The Board's chairperson will select someone for the position.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Top Secret Drug test required No