(Senior) Director, IT Infrastructure and Operations (1227-679)
As USP moves into the digital era the IT Infrastructure and Operations group is confronted with two potentially contradictory objectives: operate a safe and cost effective digital infrastructure relied on by every business process, and change that same infrastructure as quickly as possible to take advantage of new opportunities and to respond to new threats. The director if IT infrastructure leads a team of roughly 35 people and a network of vendors to meet both of these objectives. It is the Director’s unique blend of leadership and management abilities, process design skills, business acumen, and solid technical infrastructure understanding that makes it possible to succeed on both.
The Director is part of a small, close-knit IT leadership team that also includes Application Development, Program Portfolio, and Enterprise Architecture that develops strategy and oversees the operation and evolution of USP’s digital business. The Director will interact with USP’s senior-most leadership to help them understand the constraints and possibilities of their IT infrastructure. Conversely the Director is expected to understand USP’s business and how the IT infrastructure supports it.Roles and Responsibilities
- Sets the mission and vision of the global IT Operations organization to foster a business-oriented culture and mindset driven by continual service improvement techniques.
- Leads the development of the IT Operations service strategy and technical roadmap, and ensures its integration with the overall IT and enterprise strategic plans.
- Oversees and prioritizes the work of teams and vendors responsible for
- first level US support of IT services,
- second level and administration support of US and Global enterprise systems,
- US and Global networking,
- US on-premise and cloud infrastructure.
- Ensures that service level objectives are established, communicated, and met.
- Ensures that disaster recovery plans are established, communicated, and rehearsed.
- Ensures that cyber-security policy and procedures are responsive and consistently applied.
- Ensures a continuous Global IT Risk Management dialog with leaders across the enterprise on the adequacy and effectiveness of IT security precautions, IT service levels, and IT disaster recovery plans.
- Responsible for all IT inventory of the company.
- Advocates for computer training programs for USP staff, and works with HR on regular scheduling and teaching of training classes.
- Works with the Senior Vice President Global Information Services to develop and enhance the overall technology strategy.
ITScore for Infrastructure and Operations to make sure search is for tomorrow’s needs and not today’s.Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, business administration or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Fifteen or more years of experience in IT.
- Five or more years of management experience including budgeting and managing managers.
- Demonstrated leadership.
- The ability to effectively communicate ideas in written and spoken communication.
- Master’s degree in computer science, information systems, business administration or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Two or more years exposure to organization design, business processes design, and business transformations to achieve those designs.
- Expertise in budget planning and financial management, preferably with showback and/or chargeback models.
- Deep understanding of current and emerging I&O technologies and practices, and how other enterprises are employing them.
- Experience with LAN/WAN technologies and modern cloud platforms such as AWS or Azure
- Exposure to the unique needs of Life sciences and Labs
- Excellent vendor management skills
- Solid problem statement skills and strategies for problem solving.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious relationships with direct reports, IT peers, and senior management across USP.
Managers of IT support center, Network technologies, Operations architecture, Application Administration, and IT Security.
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular