Director for Employee Communications & Engagement
Director for Employee Communications and Engagement
Office of the President
Exempt, Regular, 100% Full Time, Pay Grade 3.4
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is seeking a Director for Employee Communications and Engagement in the Office of the President. Reporting to the Vice President for Communications and Engagement, the individual will assist in developing and implementing internal employee communications and engagement strategies that support UMUC's strategic goals and operational priorities.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
This position will focus on three key priorities:
- Serving as the internal communications liaison with the Student Information System (SIS) team to implement a new cloud-based technology platform called CampusNexus Student at UMUC. SIS is the core system that UMUC uses to process all student and faculty data. The cross-functional SIS team will include representatives from UMUC and AccelerEd working together with Campus Management to ensure a smooth and successful transition to the new platform. The communications role will entail developing and implementing a communications project management plan through to support adoption of the new SIS and associated technologies throughout the university. (50%FTE)
- Manage an evaluation of the university's existing internal communications infrastructure - including channels, technology, business processes, and measurement capabilities - and implement upgrades and improvements. Support the team's ongoing efforts to provide coordination, consistency, and strategic alignment for the university's communications with faculty and staff. (30%FTE)
- Lead the development of an engagement strategy for UMUC staff and faculty, identifying university-wide activation opportunities (such as Emergency Preparedness Month or Day to Serve) and partner closely with sponsoring departments to develop robust and creative communications and engagement plans. Create a full-year calendar for engagement programs and events and lead the communications execution. Identify opportunities to solicit feedback from employees and track progress on employee engagement to measure effectiveness and guide future initiatives.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors degree from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Minimum of five years work experience in communications, engagement, marketing, events, program management or a related field.
- Writing and editing skills with the ability to translate complex information into user-friendly messaging for employees.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to work well in teams and independently.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and supervise plans and projects.
- Ability to create and deliver presentations.
- Keen attention to detail.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree.
- Experience working in project management.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Proven experience on a team with senior leadership.
- Knowledge of Intranet platforms, particularly Jive collaboration software.
- Familiarity with community management, information architecture, and user experience best practices.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.