(Associate) Sampling and Shipment Coordinator (1226-679)
This is a non-supervisory, position in Reference Standards Production (RSP). The incumbent is responsible for the receipt of bulk reference standard materials (chemicals), preparing samples of the bulk chemicals, and shipping the chemical samples to USP’s laboratories worldwide. The incumbent is expected to work independently and perform all assigned work with excellence and minimal errors. The incumbent assists more senior staff in the implementation and compliance with quality policies and engages in continuous improvement initiatives. This position is a critical component of USP’s core Reference Standards business.
This position will be related to the Frederick Facility in the fall of 2019.Roles and Responsibilities
- Under supervisory guidance, receives bulk reference standard materials (chemicals). Performs inventory cycle count and is responsible for ensuring accuracy of bulk inventory. Generates approved labels for bulk chemicals.
- Following ISO standards and best practices, prepares bulk reference standard samples under guidance of senior staff.
- Accurately and promptly documents all bulk reference material transactions utilizing Oracle and other relevant software.
- Under supervisory guidance, distributes bulk reference standard samples to various internal and external testing facilities, domestically and internationally, adhering to Trade Compliance regulations. Prepares documentation and coordinates the shipping of hazardous goods/dangerous substances under DOT and IATA regulations. Ensures safety and compliance with international regulations. Maintains certification through periodic training.
- Handles routine and non-routine communications with vendors, suppliers, exporters, and shipping organizations with professionalism and expertise.
- Rapidly masters basic technology and works to develop knowledge in team processes, Laboratory practices and technical equipment.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Sampling and Shipment Coordinator responsibilities (in addition to those listed above)
- Prepares and submits reports related to bulk materials management and inventory processes
- Serves as a mentor and technical resource to new RSP staff
- Candidate must be able to relocate to the Frederick Facility when the business needs require this transfer
- Work requires passing a pulmonary function test and the use of personal protective equipment (PPE)
Associate Sampling and Shipment Coordinator
Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or other physical science or a High School Diploma with a minimum of four years of experience in a directly related laboratory setting or a related field.
Sampling and Shipment Coordinator
Bachelor's degree in Chemistry or a related field with two years of directly related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Must have knowledge and understanding of DOT/IATA shipping regulations
Must have knowledge and understanding of Trade Compliance regulationsPreferred Qualifications
- Understanding of ISO 9001 guidelines and quality systems
- Readily learns new or specialty software applications. Familiarity with Oracle ERP a plus
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical, biotechnology, science-based or healthcare organization
- Understands the basic concepts of chemistry and is familiar with scientific/technical terminology
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Proven capability to productively support internal and external clients. Must be a team player
- Ability to work independently, where appropriate, yet understand when to escalates issues
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Conveys a professional image through their actions
- Experience utilizing DOT and IATA shipping regulations is a plus
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular