Associate Dean, Honors College
James Madison University invites applications and nominations for Associate Dean for Diversity, Inclusion, and External Engagement within the JMU Honors College. For this position, JMU seeks a highly-organized, student-focused professional to provide leadership within the university's growing Honors College and to advance JMU's vision to be the national model for the engaged university.
The University and Honors College
JMU is a selective, public, comprehensive university located in the vibrant and diverse city of Harrisonburg, VA. The university's setting in the heart of Virginia's scenic Shenandoah Valley is an area rich in culture and outdoor recreational opportunities, and is a two-hour drive from Washington, DC. The university has a national reputation for its strong commitment to teaching and learning both inside and outside the classroom. JMU enrolls over twenty-two thousand students, 20,798 of whom are undergraduates, and offers 77 undergraduate programs that span the fine and performing arts, humanities, mathematics, natural and applied sciences, social sciences, engineering, business, and numerous pre-professional areas of study. The mission of the university is to prepare students to become educated and enlightened citizens, and its vision is to become the national model for the engaged university. The complementary mission of the Honors College is to develop a diverse community of inquisitive and aspirational learners from all parts of campus through distinctive and challenging educational experiences. More information about JMU and the Honors College can be found at http://www.jmu.edu/ and http://www.jmu.edu/honors/.
The Associate Dean Position
The position is a twelve-month appointment, salary commensurate with experience. Preferred start date is 1 July 2019. The Associate Dean will report to the Dean of the Honors College, and will be responsible for setting and monitoring the strategic and operational direction of key initiatives within the Honors College. Specifically, this position's effort will be dedicated to the following activities.
- Work collaboratively with the Dean to develop, benchmark, and manage diversity and inclusion initiatives, including monitoring relevant work at the national level and at peer institutions.
- Manage Honors College recruitment and admissions activities.
- Provide oversight of Honors-related community college transfer agreements.
- Provide leadership and manage the Honors College communication plan.
- Manage key engagement initiatives, such as the Summer Honors Institute and the Honors Symposium.
- Work collaboratively with the Dean to support alumni relations and external constituency development.
- Work collaboratively with Honors College staff to support advising and retention.
- Represent the Honors College on relevant university committees.
- Participate in the Honors College teaching mission through the delivery of high-impact learning experiences.
The successful candidate will have the following required qualifications.
- Ph.D. or other earned terminal degree.
- Academic record commensurate with an appointment as an Associate of Full Professor in an academic unit.
- Demonstrated commitment to, and proven track-record of, advancing diversity and inclusion in a higher education setting.
- Demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively and independently.
- Demonstrated excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of constituencies, including faculty groups, administrators, students, and alumni.
Additional qualifications of high interest include teaching, advising, and administrative experience within Honors.
To apply visit http://joblink.jmu.edu/postings/4272 or go to JobLink.jmu.edu and reference posting number F1211. Applicants will complete the faculty profile, and attach a cover letter, current curriculum vitae, and contact information for at least five professional references (as part of the faculty profile). Only complete submissions uploaded to JobLink will be considered. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, with review of applications to begin November 15, 2018. Individuals wishing to nominate candidates should submit an email letter of nomination and complete contact information for the nominee to firstname.lastname@example.org.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/6sfs2w9d7yg687mh