Deputy Assistant Administrator, Recovery
Occasional travel - This position may require occasional non-emergency travel.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Relocation expenses MAY be authorized.
Failure to meet the basic qualification requirements and all Technical and Executive Core Qualification factors automatically disqualifies an applicant.
As a basic requirement for entry into the SES, applicants must provide evidence of progressively responsible leadership experience that is indicative of senior executive level managerial capability and directly related to the skills and abilities outlined under Technical Qualifications and Executive Core Qualifications. Typically, experience of this nature will have been gained at or above the GS-15 grade level in the Federal service, or its equivalent with state or local government, the private sector, or nongovernmental organizations. The successful candidate will be a motivated leader who has a record of sound fiscal management, experience in a senior administrative position, and proficiency in community engagement.
Each applicant is required to submit a comprehensive narrative statement, which addresses BOTH the mandatory Technical and Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) outlined below. Applicants who do not submit a supplemental narrative statement that addresses these factors will be ineligible for further consideration. The narrative portion for the Technical Qualifications MUST NOT EXCEED 6 PAGES TOTAL. The supplemental narrative statement for the Executive Core Qualifications should address the necessary level of management skills, characteristics, qualities, specialized knowledge, and technical competence that would indicate successful performance in the SES. This evidence must include clear and concise examples that emphasize the applicant’s level of responsibilities, scope, and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments, policy initiatives, and level of contacts. The narrative portion for the Executive Core Qualifications MUST NOT EXCEED 10 PAGES. For guidance in preparing a narrative statement addressing the ECQs, applicants can access OPM’s website at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/senior-executive-service/executive-core-qualifications/. NOTE: Any pages in excess of the page limits described above for Technical Qualifications and ECQs will not be considered in the overall assessment of your application. Submission of excess pages may result in you not receiving full consideration.
The following categories of applicants may omit the mandatory Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs), but MUST address the Technical Qualification factors:
- Applicants who are currently serving under a SES career appointment (must provide a copy of Standard Form 50--Notification of Personnel Action that documents career appointment to the SES).
- Applicants who are eligible for reinstatement to the SES (must provide a copy of Standard Form 50--Notification of Personnel Action that documents career appointment to the SES).
- Applicants who are graduates of OPM-approved SES Candidate Development Programs (must provide proof of OPM Qualifications Review Board certification).
All required application materials will be reviewed to determine if applicants meet the mandatory qualification requirements. Qualification and experience determinations will be based only on the information supplied by the applicant. The best-qualified candidates for this position will be distinguished from other applicants by an evaluation committee to determine the degree to which qualification requirements are met. Applicants should provide specific evidence of possession of the mandatory Technical and Executive Core Qualifications, as outlined under Qualifications Criteria, to assist the evaluation committee in determining the best-qualified candidates that will be considered for final selection. The Executive Core Qualifications of the selectee are subject to approval by the Office of Personnel Management Qualifications Review Board (QRB). Unless you have already been certified by an OPM QRB in the past, your ECQs must be certified by an OPM QRB before appointment can occur.
TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS – MANDATORY
- Demonstrated management-level leadership managing, advocating and negotiating for financial and human resources in a highly competitive environment.
- Demonstrated management-level experience leading teams in the development, communication and execution of a strategic vision or plan that changes business processes, service standards or program delivery models.
- Demonstrated knowledge of emergency management and disaster recovery programs, including relationship between local, state, tribal and federal government entities.
- To ensure the accomplishment of our mission, DHS requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, selected applicant must undergo, successfully pass, and maintain a background investigation for a Top Secret Special Compartmental Information (TS/SCI) clearance as a condition of placement into this position. This may include a credit check after initial job qualifications are determined (Mythbuster), review of financial issues, such as delinquency in the payment of debts, child support and/or tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use or possession of drugs. For more information on background investigations for Federal jobs please visit the OPM website at https://www.opm.gov/investigations/background-investigations/.
- If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.
- DHS uses E-verify, an internet based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
- This is a Non-Bargaining Unit position.
- Relocation and recruitment incentives MAY be authorized.
- Persons newly appointed to a career SES position are required to serve a one-year probationary period.
- All candidates must be able to deploy with little or no advance notice to anywhere in the United States and its territories for an extended period of time.
- If selected, you will be subject to 24-hour on-call in the event of an emergency. In this event, this service may include duties other than those specified in the official position description. Selectee must be able to relocate to emergency sites with little advance notice and function under intense physical and mental stress.
- If selected for this position you MAY be required to attend a one week Emergency Manager Orientation in Leesburg, Virginia. Travel is at FEMA’s expense and will occur from Sunday to Saturday.
- Mandatory Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer (DD/EFT) for salary payment is a condition of employment at DHS/FEMA. Selectee will be required to participate in DD/EFT.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS – MANDATORY
ECQ-1. LEADING CHANGE
This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. (Strategic Thinking, Flexibility, Creativity and Innovation)
ECQ-2. LEADING PEOPLE
This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. (Leveraging Diversity, Developing Others)
ECQ-3. RESULTS DRIVEN
This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. (Accountability, Entrepreneurship, Technical Credibility)
ECQ-4. BUSINESS ACUMEN
This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. (Technology Management; Human Capital Management)
ECQ-5. BUILDING COALITIONS
This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. (Partnering; Influencing/Negotiating)
To preview questions please click here.