Information Technology Specialist (Network)
Occasional travel - *****
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Conditions of Employment If selected for this position, you will be required to:
- Obtain and maintain a Top Secret Clearance/SCI. For more information visit OPM Mythbuster Page.
- Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position.
- Submit to a polygraph examination prior to your appointment.
- Perform work in an office environment, which involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions. Some field work will be required installing and programming equipment and making network connections.
- Walk, stand, kneel, and carry items such as hardware switches, routers and firewalls, or drive an automobile. In some cases, installation may occur in small or hard to hard to get to areas.
Interview Requirement: Interviews are required for this position. Failure to complete the interview may result in removal from further consideration.
- Attention to Detail – Manages network systems and monitors network architecture, infrastructure, mission and/or agency requirements, defines and develops network standards and processes for maintaining a sound network architecture and infrastructure.
- Customer Service – Directs and trains network staff in the proper use of network and security management/monitoring systems.
- Oral Communication – Coordinates teams of IT and non-IT specialists tasked with installing, configuring, operating, maintaining, and optimizing USSSS data networked equipment.
- Problem Solving – Expert knowledge and skill evaluating and analyzing agency-wide network environments and devising strategies that resolve problems in an effort to meet changing mission and/or agency requirements.
You qualify for the GS-14 level (starting salary at $114,590.00) if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 level performing duties such as: managing network systems, performance and troubleshooting; developing system recovery plans; directing the modification of operational processes when dictated by system; conducting ongoing projects and administer programs; and initiating and leading systems upgrades of hubs, switches, or hardware and software replacements.
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience) Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Qualifications Must Be Met: The qualification requirements listed above must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
Building on a Tradition of Excellence and Meeting the Challenges of the Future The Secret Service is a premier law enforcement organization with two critical national security missions: protect our nation's leaders and to conduct criminal investigations. Our team members continue a tradition of excellence - whether investigating financial crime or protecting national and visiting foreign leaders. In the Secret Service, we serve the country with duty, loyalty, justice, integrity and courage.
In the Secret Service, we:
- Protect the President, the Vice President, and other leaders; investigate threats against them; and safeguard their residences and other facilities
- Plan and implement security designs for National Special Security Events
- Investigate financial crimes including fraud, identity theft and computer-based attacks on banking or telecommunications infrastructure
Any offers of employment made pursuant to this announcement will be consistent with all applicable authorities, including Presidential Memoranda, Executive Orders, interpretive U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance, and Office of Management and Budget plans and policies concerning hiring. These authorities are subject to change.
More than one selection may be made from this announcement if additional identical vacancies in the same title, series, grade and unit occur.
Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
This position is covered by Administratively Uncontrollable Overtime (AUO) and additional compensation may be paid at the rate of up to 25% of the base salary.
E-Verify Statement: DHS uses E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Click here to learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
Mandatory Suitability Statement: If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.
This position will require a credit check after initial job qualifications have been determined.
Relocation expenses will not be authorized.
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the duties of the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications, a score will automatically be calculated based on your answers to the vacancy specific questions to place you in one of three categories. All answers provided in the online process must be substantiated by your resume. Upon review, your resume and/or supporting documents need to support your answer choices and reflect the one year of specialized experience requirement, in order to be considered. If the one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the next lower grade level cannot be identified in your resume, you will be considered not qualified. The competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job are:
- Knowledge of IT security systems and various IP networking technologies and their implementation.
- Ability to manage the evaluation, development, and implementation of network security systems.
- Skill in applying network system management concepts and hardware/software architecture related to network communications systems.
- Knowledge of project management policies, principles and techniques to plan advanced system projects and lead task forces in the resolution of critical problems.
If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be placed in one of the following categories: 1. Best Qualified: Applicants possessing experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position and demonstrate high proficiency in all of the critical competencies, including all Selective Placement Factors (SPF) and appropriate Quality Ranking Factors (QRF) as determined in the job analysis. 2. Well-Qualified: Applicants possessing experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position and demonstrates acceptable proficiency in all of the critical competencies, including all SPFs and appropriate QRFs as determined by the job analysis. 3. Qualified: Applicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position and demonstrate basic proficiency in most critical competencies, including all SPFs and appropriate QRFs as determined in the job analysis. If you are best qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) Eligibles: If you have never worked for the Federal government, you are not ICTAP eligible. View information about ICTAP eligibility on OPM's Career Transition Resources website. To be considered well qualified under ICTAP, you must be placed in the Well-Qualified category for this position, as described above. In addition, you must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement.
Veterans: Qualified veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific, professional at the GS-09 grade level, or higher. This position is not considered scientific/professional. Other 10-point preference eligibles and veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they qualify. For information on veterans' preference, please click here.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Top Secret/SCI Drug test required Yes