Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.U.S. Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
Applicants will be evaluated to determine if they meet the minimum qualification requirements and on the extent to which their application shows possession of the following knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) associated with the position:
- Perform extremely complex and difficult, precedent-setting legal and policy work.
- Advise on legal questions and issues involved in the drafting, and in the interpretation and application, of laws, regulations, policies associated with the Operations & Personnel mission.
- Participate at senior levels in the Army in the formulation of policies and program initiatives having Army-wide and national significance.
- Draft and develop regulations and other program guidance to implement the Agency's responsibilities.
- Provide expert legal oversight of Agency's military and civilian diversity and leadership programs, including advising with respect to constitutional issues; "partnering" and special emphasis programs; equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity programs, cases and regulations.
- Provide legal oversight of sensitive criminal and administrative investigations into allegations of misconduct or impropriety against members of the SES.
- Provide expert legal advice to the Congressional Affairs Contact Officers on matters of law, policy, and the legislative process.
- Facilitate the resolution of professional responsibility complaints and allegations against members of the General Counsel's office and responds to requests for assistance in addressing matters of professional responsibility from other Department of the Army Qualifying Authorities.
- Identify and document issues of Agency-wide or systemic import to the investigation and disposition of allegations of illegal activity, professional or other misconduct, or other improprieties against attorneys of the Agency.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: The following minimum qualification requirements must be met before applicants are eligible for further consideration.Experience: Applicant must have five (5) or more years of professional legal experience, acquired after being admitted to the bar, commensurate with the duties and responsibilities of the position. Graduation from an ABA-accredited law school in the top 25% of the class or an advanced law degree such as an LLM may substitute for one year of the required professional legal experience.
Education: Applicant must have successfully completed a full course of study in a school of law accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA) and have the first professional law degree (LLB or JD).
Bar membership: Applicant must currently be a member in good standing of the bar of a state, territory of the United States, District of Columbia, or Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.The following documents are required:Resume: If you submit a resume with inappropriate material e.g. photos, you will not be considered for this vacancy. Your resume may be submitted in any format. For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). Resumes that do not contain this information will be marked as insufficient and applicants may not receive consideration for this position.
Official Law school transcripts: Photo copies are acceptable when applying, but certified documents must be furnished before entering duty.
NOTE: An official statement of your relative standing in class must be furnished before entry on duty.
Official certificate showing that you are a member in good standing of the bar: The official certificate must be dated within three months of the date that the application package is submitted. The certificate is required to be submitted by all applicants to include attorneys currently appointed to positions under the qualifying authority of the Office of the General Counsel.
A sworn (notarized) statement from you that your fitness to practice law or conduct as an attorney has never been challenged: in any jurisdiction to the best of your knowledge, or if either has been challenged, a sworn (notarized) statement concerning the facts and circumstances, together with any explanation that you deem appropriate may be submitted. As an alternative to a sworn (notarized) statement, a statement which includes a declaration under penalty of perjury may be submitted in the following format: "I declare (or certify, verify, or state) under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct...executed on (date)... (your signature)." (28 U.S.C. 1746). The statement must be dated within three months of the date the application package is submitted.
Examples of writing skills as demonstrated by legal briefs, memoranda, or letters: These examples should total no more than ten pages in length. Extracts of selected sections of larger documents are acceptable.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct deposit of pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 90 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.