WATER/SEWER/STREETS EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (SEWER MAINTENANCE SECTION)
This Water/Sewer/Streets (WSS) Equipment Operator is responsible for driving and operating specialized equipment to support the sewer construction and maintenance of the County's Sanitary and Storm Sewer infrastructure.
Specific duties include:
- Operating specialized trucks such as Flusher and Vacuum (Vactor) trucks and associated equipment; a backhoe, forklift, skid steer's and/or crane truck to excavate trenches and holes, assisting in moving materials and equipment, and grading surfaces for construction;
- Performing routine and emergency maintenance work such as sewer line flushing, manhole cleaning, grease removal, sewer grid maintenance and sewer back-up issues;
- Loading and operating various size trucks such as medium and tandem dump trucks and front-end loaders;
- Performing routine preventive maintenance on equipment;
- Operating sewer line cameras and other equipment associated with storm and sanitary sewer maintenance; and
- Performing emergency stand-by duty on a rotating schedule.
Minimum: A combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to drive and operate heavy construction equipment and vehicles such as medium and tandem dump trucks, sewer flusher and vacuum (vactor) trucks, backhoes, crane trucks, and front-end loaders.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year for year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- At least two years of experience operating a flusher truck or similar equipment;
- Experience performing preventive maintenance on equipment;
- Experience using a computerized maintenance management system (CMMS); and/or
- Field construction experience (reading/interpreting plans, cut sheets, etc.).
1) Applicant must possess a class "B" or "A" commercial driver's license.
2) The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record and passing a pre-employment drug screening and alcohol breath test as required by applicable standards.
3) Prior to the time of appointment, the successful applicant must pass a pre-employment drug screening. Once hired, the employee will be subject to drug screening at such times during employment as required by federal, state, and local standards and regulations. Applicant must also provide written consent for Arlington County to obtain from previous employers information required by DOT agency regulations concerning drug and alcohol testing information.
Work Hours: 6:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Must be available for call-back in emergency situations such as snow removal and sewer related emergencies.
The official title of this position is WSS Equipment Operator I.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered.