The Arlington County Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) Athletic and Facility Services Division (AFS) is seeking a Camp Coordinator to lead a coordinated camp effort in conjunction with the Community Recreation Division to advertise, organize, and execute a complex and diverse camp portfolio. This position will work with the Deputy Division Chief to secure space in Arlington Public Schools (APS) facilities for summer camps and will be responsible for management of a summer camp grid, that assigns space to all summer camps. The incumbent is also responsible for the management of the summer camp catalog, and website content, ensuring that the community has ready access to camp information. DPR hosts a robust camp program offering over 40 contracted camps, along with DPR-run camps totaling over 10,000 participants each year.
Specific duties Include:
- Leading a summer camp committee comprised of over 10 employees to include leading meetings, creating agendas, and tracking deliverables;
- Tracking of summer camp performance metrics and providing those metrics to AFS Division Leadership;
- Leading the overall DPR camp effort while ensuring seamless coordination between contracted camp offerings, and offerings provided by DPR;
- Coordinating, leading and tracking all trainings required by DPR for all permanent and temporary camp staff;
- Managing and assisting in the recruitment and hiring of all temporary summer camp staff between the months of June-September;
- Advertising, scheduling, and coordinating all summer camp and all "Break Blast" school-year camp offerings;
- Working collaboratively with Arlington Public Schools (APS) to secure space for summer camp; and
- Managing and providing oversight of some contracted services for the Athletic and Facility Services Division to include youth basketball leagues, officiating contracts, and other sports leagues offered through DPR that are administered through contractors.
Minimum: Bachelor's Degree in Sports Management/Administration, Recreation Administration, or related field plus two years' experience in camp management and sports and recreation administration.
Substitution: Additional experience may substitute for education on a year for year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to applicants with one or more of the following:
- Master's Degree in Sports Management/Administration, Recreation Administration or related field.
- Experience managing programs in a local government setting.
- Experience running a diverse camp portfolio.
- Experience utilizing RecTrac or similar web based scheduling and registration systems.
Work hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.