Principal Technician, Network Operations
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
No. Vacancies: 1.00
Department: 16711.Network Operations
Location: Gunma, Japan
Travel %: None
Education: Four-year college degree
Experience: At least 5 years of experience required
Equivalency: Combination of education & experience considered
Does this position have direct reports: No
Hiring Manager: Masafumi IgarashiThe Principal Technician position provides technical oversight and expert knowledge for the resolution of radio frequency (RF), interference events, service request and prompt response for network issues. This position is responsible for addressing and ensuing calls or emails for service requests from customers utilizing full-time resources are answered in a timely matter. Candidate will perform site / platform surveillance, network infrastructure troubleshooting, and analysis cellphone backhaul traffic flow. In addition, you will provide the highest level of customer service, in-depth troubleshooting, technical support, analysis and service issue resolution to minimize service interruptions. This role facilitates teamwork in support of the management team and technicians, focuses on collaboration with and mentoring/coaching of junior team members and professional development as a role model. As a Principal Technician you will lead surveillance, triage and support functions up to and including:
- Provide expert level operational service support in one of our primary service areas: Data, RF, and display basic proficiency in one or more additional skillset.
- Provide operational support and timely response of phone calls and emails through the triage process. Matters include but not limited to; customer accesses, carrier measurements, peak/pols and internal/external customer notifications.
- Identify, update and escalate service issues to determine alternate routing, emergency restoral and timely resolution of service discrepancies.
- Identify and pursue final resolution to service issues in scenarios including emergency satellite earth station gateway switchover and other complex restoral processed for customer service continuity.
- Lead proactive service alarm surveillance and lead efforts for timely resolution of operational customer impact.
- Utilize RF, IP and platform tools to troubleshoot RF and Data issues while working closely with customers to maintain all service level agreements and resolve any RF, teleport and managed service trouble issues.
- Ensure team members are trained on issue resolution and reporting process including ticket documentation, restoration and final resolution
- Perform troubleshooting of customer's services while consistently following established processes and procedures.
- Perform tracking and execution of all maintenance activities
- Provide input and lead efforts for the development of departmental workflow, training materials, processes, and procedures
- Collaborate with Intelsat support groups and/or premier customer engineers to participate in transition activities, integrate and oversee the onboarding of new services into the existing operational Intelsat product line.
- Escalate and report on service issue corrective measures to the Supervisor and Management team.
- Must have four-year college degree.
- At least five years of commercial experience in a broadcast and/or data environment.
- Current working knowledge of satellite, fiber, data and/or broadcast related equipment.
- Cisco and/or Gilat related certification is desirable.
- Must be able to work 24 X 7 rotating shifts, consistently demonstrate the ability to follow company guidelines in making decisions under stressful conditions in a multi-tasking work environment.
- Must be able to proficiently convey technical issues equally to skilled and unskilled individuals.
- Must be able to provide technical assessment of team members for yearly performance evaluation.
- Must have and consistently display good team working, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Must have experience working in a bilingual environment with written/verbal skills in Japanese as the primary language and English as the second language.
- Must have basic computer skills and the ability to read and understand operational manuals for various test and/or measurement equipment.
- Must support the terminal repointing project to transition the 4000 terminals into Network under the supervision of his manager.
- Please review the job bidding by current employees section in the employee handbook prior to applying for this position, thank you.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.