Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Successful completion of the requirements for Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, or equivalent, from a school in the United States or Canada. This degree must have been accredited by the Council on Medical Education of the American Medical Association; Association of American Medical Colleges; Liaison Committee on Medical Education; Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation of the American Osteopathic Association; or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained. For further information, please visit OPM's qualification standard;
Successful completion of a Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States that was demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG);
Successful completion of premedical education in the United States AND graduate education from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States that was demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
Successful completion of the U.S. Medical Licensing Examination.
Additional Qualification Requirements -
You must have 1 year of supervised experience providing direct service in a clinical setting, i.e., a 1-year internship or the first year of a residency program in a hospital or an institution accredited for such training. Graduate training programs include only those internship, residency, and fellowship programs that are approved by accrediting bodies recognized within the United States or Canada. Descriptions of such programs are described below:
An internship program involves broadly based clinical practice in which physicians acquire experience in treating a variety of medical problems under supervision (e.g., internal medicine, surgery, general practice, obstetrics-gynecology, and pediatrics). Such programs are in hospitals or other institutions accredited for internship training by a recognized body of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME); OR
A residency program involves training in a specialized field of medicine in a hospital or an institution accredited for training in the specialty by a recognized body of the American Medical Association, (AMA) or Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME); OR
A fellowship program involves advanced training (beyond residency training) in a given medical specialty in either a clinical or research setting in a hospital or an institution accredited in the United States for such training.
You must have four years of graduate training in the specialty of the position to be filled; OR equivalent experience and training.
You must have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-13 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following tasks: providing expertise in clinical research involving the treatment and prevention of infectious diseases; providing recommendations on innovative ways and means of carrying out aspects of clinical studies; and reviewing and coordinating research initiatives in the translational sciences.
Licensure Requirement - You must have an active, current, full, and unrestricted license or registration as a physician from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. NOTE: This requirement may not apply to all positions filled in the 602 series, particularly if patient contact is not in the duties.
Board Certification in Infectious Diseases
Preview assessment questionnaire before you apply:https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10320757
This position has an education requirement. You are strongly encouraged to submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades). Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required from all selectees prior to receiving an official offer. Click here for information on Foreign Education.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Title 38 pay is included in the salary of this position and is based on the physician's experience and field of expertise.
- A one-year trial/probationary period may be required upon selection/ placement.
- If selected, you will be required to complete a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report, OGE Form 450 to determine if a conflict or an appearance of a conflict exists between your financial interest and your prospective position with the agency. This information is required annually. For information, visit the NIH Ethics website: https://ethics.od.nih.gov/topics/fd.htm.
- At the supervisor's discretion, this position may offer work schedule flexibilities: [telework, remote work, compressed schedules, flexible schedules].
- This position is designated as a "non-emergency/teleworker" position and the selected candidate will be considered a "non-emergency/teleworker" employee.
- PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps should also apply online to this announcement in order to receive consideration.
- We may make additional selections for similar positions within the commuting area(s) of the locations listed through this vacancy announcement.
- The National Institutes of Health participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers.
- The NIH maintains a tobacco free work environment and campus.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Traditional rating and ranking of applications does not apply to this vacancy. You will be evaluated against the basic qualifications. Qualified applicants will be referred for consideration in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management direct hire guidelines. Veterans' Preference does not apply to the direct hire recruitment procedures.
To be considered well qualified for the purposes of the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), you must substantively exceed the basic qualifications and meet all eligibility, physical, medical, suitability, and all other requirements.