Relocation expenses reimbursed No
A. have successfully completed the requirements for a bachelor's degree in microbiology, biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that includes at least 20 semester hours in microbiology and other subjects related to the study of microorganisms and at least 20 semester hours need to be in the physical and mathematical sciences (combination of course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent); OR
B. have successfully completed the requirements for a graduate degree in microbiology, or specific area of study such as bacteriology, virology, mycology, algology, protozoology, parasitology, immunology, serology, microbial genetics, or soil microbiology; or specific applied fields of microbiology relevant to the duties of this position; OR,
C. have a combination of experience and education which includes courses comparable to a major in microbiology, or biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included courses as shown in B above, AND have appropriate experience or additional education which demonstrates similarly appropriate skills or abilities needed to perform the duties of this position.
In addition, to qualify for a Microbiologist position at the GS-403-11 level, you must:
A. have 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in microbiology, or specific area of study such as bacteriology, virology, mycology, algology, protozoology, parasitology, immunology, serology, microbial genetics, or soil microbiology; or specific applied fields of microbiology relevant to the duties of this position; OR,
B. have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: performing microbiological or biological experiments examining microbiological organisms in accordance with approved methods and procedures; analyzing and preparing data for reports and scientific publication; calibrating and operating sophisticated laboratory instruments; providing orientation and training on the methods and procedures used in the laboratory to professional staff and others ; OR
C. have a combination of post baccalaureate education and experience that meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
In addition, to qualify for a Microbiologist position at the GS-403-12 level, you must have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: planning and developing microbiological experiments and protocols; evaluating the progress of microbiological experiments and establishing plans and resources for the completion of the project; preparing data in final form for scientific publication; coordinating the installation, repair, calibration and training for laboratory equipment.
Preview assessment questionnaire before you apply: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10313671
This position has an education requirement. You are strongly encouraged to submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades). Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required from all selectees prior to receiving an official offer. Click here for information on Foreign Education.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- A one-year trial/probationary period may be required upon selection/ placement.
- A newly appointed or reappointed employee may receive service credit for prior work experience or active duty uniformed service that otherwise would not be creditable for the purpose of determining his or her annual leave accrual rate. All creditable service must be directly related to the duties of the position being filled and decisions to allow for such credit must be finalized prior to the selectee's entrance on duty. Recipients will be determined on a case-by-case basis based on organizational need, specific case justification, and budget limitations.
- This position is designated as a "non-emergency/non-teleworker" position and the selected candidate will be considered a "non-emergency/non-teleworker" employee.
- PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps should also apply online to this announcement in order to receive consideration.
- We may make additional selections for similar positions within the commuting area(s) of the locations listed through this vacancy announcement.
- The National Institutes of Health participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers.
- The NIH maintains a tobacco free work environment and campus.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
If you meet the minimum qualifications for this position, your application and responses to the online questionnaire will be evaluated under Category Rating and Selection procedures for placement in one of the following categories:
- - Best Qualified - for those who are superior in the evaluation criteria
- - Well Qualified - for those who excel in the evaluation criteria
- - Qualified - for those who only meet the minimum qualification requirements
To be considered well qualified for the purposes of the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), you must substantively exceed the basic qualifications by scoring at least an 85 on the assessment and meet all eligibility, physical, medical, suitability, and any other requirements. Read more Security clearance Other Drug test required No