Technology Transfer and Patent Specialist
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Successful completion of a 4 year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a Bachelor's degree or graduate/higher level degree with a major field of study in an academic field related to the medical field, health sciences, or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position.
IN ADDITION TO THE EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS, YOU MUST ALSO MEET THE FOLLOWING:
One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-9 grade level in the Federal Government obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: researching contractual agreement requirements and preparing reports of findings; responding to routine technical inquiries regarding technology transfer agreements; reviewing documents related to technology transfer agreements for completeness and compliance with basic requirements; and compiling information for briefing reports related to technology transfer issues OR completed 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or have a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in a related field OR have a combination of graduate education and experience.
One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal Government obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: responding to inquiries regarding the legal and regulatory requirements related to technology transfer agreements, patents, or inventions; reviewing technology transfer agreements for sufficiency regarding methods and techniques, justifications, and similar matters; reviewing reports of technology transfer agreements to determine adherence to performance measures; and negotiating and executing technology transfer agreements with assistance from managers.
One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal Government obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: planning, drafting and negotiating a variety of technology transfer agreements, such as Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADAs), Licenses, and Material Transfer agreements in consultation with managers; providing assistance in resolving complex problems related to technology transfer agreements; and managing patent prosecution.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Preview assessment questionnaire before you apply: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10314731
This position has an education requirement. You are strongly encouraged to submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades). Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required from all selectees prior to receiving an official offer. Click here for information on Foreign Education.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- This position is designated as a "non-emergency/teleworker" position and the selected candidate will be considered a "non-emergency/teleworker" employee. In the event of a closure, you must be available to telework or request leave.
- A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps should also apply online to this announcement in order to receive consideration.
- We may make additional selections for similar positions within the commuting area(s) of the locations listed through this vacancy announcement.
- The National Institutes of Health participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers.
- The NIH maintains a tobacco free work environment and campus.
- If selected, you will be required to complete a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report, OGE Form 450 to determine if a conflict or an appearance of a conflict exists between your financial interest and your prospective position with the agency. This information is required annually. For information, visit the NIH Ethics website: https://ethics.od.nih.gov/topics/fd.htm.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
If you meet the minimum qualifications for this position, your application and responses to the online questionnaire will be evaluated under Category Rating and Selection procedures for placement in one of the following categories:
- - Best Qualified - for those who are superior in the evaluation criteria
- - Well Qualified - for those who excel in the evaluation criteria
- - Qualified - for those who only meet the minimum qualification requirements
To be considered well qualified for the purposes of the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), you must substantively exceed the basic qualifications by scoring at least an 85 on the assessment and meet all eligibility, physical, medical, suitability, and any other requirements. Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation Drug test required No