Associate General Counsel, General Corporate
If you are a smart, dynamic, and self-motivated attorney, Freddie Mac might be the employer for you! We are looking for an Associate General Counsel to join us in the General Corporate Department of the Legal Division at Freddie Mac (Legal GCD). Attorneys in the Legal GCD are key advisors to Freddie Mac with regards to a number of corporate legal matters, including contracting, information technology initiatives, privacy, data security, intellectual property, corporate real estate, and other areas of corporate practice.
Areas of Legal Practice:
In this position, most of your work will fall into the following categories:
(i) contracting, with an emphasis on technology transactions and business process outsourcing, and
(ii) privacy and information security-related work.
More specifically, this position will require:
* Review requests for proposal and draft, negotiate, and assist in interpretation, enforcement and termination of agreements with third parties providing services and technology to Freddie Mac. Types of agreements include information technology and business process outsourcing agreements, cloud-based service agreements, intellectual property licenses, confidentiality agreements and consulting agreements. Advise clients with respect to legal risk issues arising in the context of these agreements, including legal compliance, privacy, data security, intellectual property and liability issues. Assist clients regarding disputes arising under these agreements.
* Provide timely, practical and sound advice to Freddie Mac’s Privacy Office and various business areas with respect to matters involving use or handling of information covered by applicable privacy laws.
* Provide timely, practical and sound advice to Freddie Mac’s Information Technology Division and various business areas with respect to information security and other IT-related matters.
* Provide timely, practical and sound advice to clients with respect to various general corporate matters as they arise, such as corporate policies and procedures.* Develop and deliver training to clients and other attorneys.
* A minimum of 5-7 years of directly related professional legal experience.
* Juris Doctor (JD) degree and membership in good standing in a state bar.
* Experience in contracting, including business process and technology outsourcing projects, with a law firm or corporate law department. Experience should include primary responsibility for negotiating and closing transactions.
* Experience in privacy and data security matters, including legal analysis and advice
* Strong written communication skills.
* Typically 12+ years of related work experience and 4+years of management experience
Keys to Success in this Role:
* Ability to work comfortably and routinely as part of a team and to cooperate across organizational boundaries.
* Ability to organize and prioritize multiple pending matters.
* Thrives in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
* Ability to identify and creatively resolve conflicts.
* Drive for Execution
* Treat obstacles as challenges to overcome, not excuses
* Be accountable for timeliness and results
* Customer Focus
* Engage regularly with clients to learn their needs and keep them up to speed on pending matters
* Implement consultative approach; probe to understand the client’s priorities and objectives and follow up accordingly
* Execute upon a clear vision, strategy and goals
* Be a role model for our target culture
* Ability to provide sound legal and business counsel, while clearly distinguishing between the two.
* Collaborative mind-set:
— ability to work well with peers as appropriate and to communicate to ensure consistency of legal advice and negotiating positions.
— ability to develop and maintain good relationships with third parties, including customers, regulators and vendors.
* Habit of continually seeking ways to improve efficiency and customer service.
* Strong legal and analytical skills.
* Strong drafting and negotiating skills, including the ability to persuade others in sensitive situations without damage to the relationship.
* Strong oral presentation skills.
Today, Freddie Mac makes home possible for one in four home borrowers and is one of the largest sources of financing for multifamily housing. Join our smart, creative and dedicated team and you’ll do important work for the housing finance system and make a difference in the lives of others. Freddie Mac is an equal opportunity and top diversity employer. EOE, M/F/D/V.