Category Management Program Manager
Occasional travel - Travel as needed.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
If selected, you must meet the following conditions:
- Receive authorization from OPM on any job offer you receive, if you are or were (within the last 5 years) a Schedule A, Schedule C, or non-career SES political appointee
- Serve a one year probationary period, if required.
- Undergo and pass a background investigation (Tier 2 investigation level).
- Have your identity and work status eligibility verified if you are not a GSA employee. We will use the Department of Homeland Security’s e-Verify system for this. Any discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of continued employment.
- Complete a financial disclosure report to verify that no conflict, or an appearance of conflict, exists between your financial interest and this position.
For each job on your resume, provide:
- the exact dates you held each job (from month/year to month/year)
- number of hours per week you worked (if part time).
If you have volunteered your service through a National Service program (e.g., Peace Corps, Americorps), we encourage you to apply and include this experience on your resume.
For a brief video on creating a Federal resume, click here.
The GS-15 salary range starts at $134,789 per year.
If you are a new federal employee, your starting salary will likely be set at the Step 1 of the grade for which you are selected.
To qualify, you must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 level or higher in the Federal service. Specialized experience is experience managing the process and full implementation of a Services Category Market strategy as adopted by Office of Management and Budget and required by the President’s Management Agenda. This experience must include the following:
1. Understanding and analyzing government spending for Service categories and subcategories.
2. Developing and executing initiatives to achieve the program goals of bringing spending under management, generating savings, improving buying processes, increasing innovation, improving the quality of services purchased, and promotion small business participation.
3. Demonstrate in-depth expertise about the markets and suppliers for their categories and subcategories as well as in-depth knowledge about what drives government demand.
4. Using demand management, strategic sourcing, vendor management, and total cost management to reduce duplication in contracts, unnecessary and inefficient buying, and variation in prices across government.
5. Writing complete agency and category spending profiles.
6. Technical expertise in data management and in rendering and visualizing information from the data.
7. Working with and presenting information to senior government officials including senior executive service, senior procurement officials and executive branch administrators and associate administrators.
There is no education substitution for this position.
Bargaining Unit Status
Bargaining Unit status: Ineligible
Relocation Not Paid
Relocation-related expenses are not approved and will be your responsibility.
On a case-by-case basis, the following incentives may be approved:
· Recruitment incentive if you are new to the federal government
· Relocation incentive if you are a current federal employee
· Credit toward vacation leave if you are new to the federal government
Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement as needed; through other means; or not at all.
All the information you provide will be verified by a review of the work experience and/or education as shown on your application forms, by checking references and through other means, such as the interview process. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempts to conceal information may be grounds for not hiring you, or for firing you after you begin work.
If you are eligible under Merit Promotion, you may also apply under Vacancy Announcement #1910105LMMP. You must apply separately to each announcement to be considered for both.As an Acquisition Category Manager, you will develop and maintain a category plan and implementation strategy (3 to 5 years ahead) for assigned categories and commodities.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will use a method called Category Rating to assess your application. Here’s how it will work:
- You will be scored on the questions you answer during the application process, which will measure your possession of the following competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Expert knowledge of category management processes, its governing laws, regulations, methodologies and/or policies to provide sound and authoritative technical guidance on all issues related to the program.
- Mastery of an administrative field in order to plan and manage or review and recommend to top management approvals of innovations (systems, operating positions, management philosophies) impacting critical agency CM programs. Knowledge is employed to address uncertainties involving the legislation, authorities, and future of the agency programs; feature unprecedented factual issues, e.g., those stemming from the newness or complexity of the program or recent changes to it and require balancing conflicting interests or positions of extreme intensity as oftentimes found in the dynamic, continually changing Government environment.
- Exceptional skill in oral communications in order to present sensitive recommendations to higher authority, to obtain compliance with policies from activities nationwide, to articulate positions/policy of vast technical complexity and to represent the agency on task forces.
- Extensive experience in communications, negotiations, research, performance improvement, program/project management.
- Demonstrated experience in working with senior executives at the highest levels both internal and external to GSA.
- Demonstrated outstanding relationship and communication skills with ability to collaborate and influence across levels with internal and external partners (including very senior executives in both sides) and across geographic markets.
- Ability to anticipate and understand the customer's perspective and use expertise to provide innovative solutions which facilitate the accomplishment of Federal agencies' missions and ensure customer satisfaction.
- Ability to engage in careful, high level analysis of information, issues, and trends in order to provide clients with multiple realistic solutions to problems.
- Your answers to the questions will be used to place you in one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified.
- We will verify your answers to the questions in your resume. If your resume doesn’t support your answers, we may lower your score, which could place you in a lower category.
- Within each category, veterans will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
Additional assessments may be used, and, if so, you will be provided with further instructions.
If you are eligible under Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan or GSA’s Career Transition Assistance Plan(ICTAP/CTAP), you must receive a score of 85 or higher to receive priority.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation Drug test required No