Occasional travel - 3 to 4 days per month of overnight travel is required to attend site visits, conferences, meetings and/or training.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Relocation may be authorized in accordance with Federal regulations on a case-by-case basis.
May be required to complete a one-year probationary period, if not previously completed in a competitive or excepted service position.
Applicants must meet all qualifications requirements within thirty (30) calendar days of the closing date of this announcement.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Specialized Experience is experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled.
GS-12: A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as: Experience in participating in transportation projects focused on innovative technologies or services (including, but not limited to, connected or automated vehicles, shared mobility services, transit systems, or freight logistics); vehicle and transportation system modeling and simulation; or the application of data science methods, high-performance computing, and/or artificial intelligence to transportation systems optimization.
GS-13: A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as: Experience monitoring, evaluating, or analyzing advanced vehicle and transportation programs; advising and making recommendations to management regarding research and development related to advanced transportation systems; developing and managing transportation projects focused on innovative technologies or services (including, but not limited to, connected or automated vehicles, shared mobility services, transit systems, or freight logistics); vehicle and transportation system modeling and simulation; or the application of data science methods, high-performance computing, and/or artificial intelligence to transportation system optimization.
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
- Knowledge of advanced concepts, principles, and practices of energy efficiency, renewable power, and sustainable transportation systems and technologies in the assigned program area.
- Knowledge of energy technologies in order to recognize realistic opportunities for renewable energy efficiency, alternative energy, or advanced transportation technologies based on practical considerations and cost/benefit potentials.
- Skill in project planning analysis and evaluation to serve as program/project manager.
- Knowledge of the principles, methods, practices and techniques of technology project/portfolio management.
- Knowledge of organization goals, policy, programs, projects and efforts related to assigned program areas.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and/or local government budget process.
- Ability communicate orally and in writing.
"Experience" refers to paid and unpaid experience. Examples of qualifying unpaid experience may include: volunteer work done through National Service programs (such as Peace Corps and AmeriCorps); as well as work for other community-based philanthropic and social organizations. Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills; and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
CTAP/ICTAP candidates: To be considered "well qualified" you must meet all of the requirements as described in this section.
This position doesn't have a positive education requirements.
Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
The U.S. Department of Energy fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- New employees to the Department of Energy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
- Veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, please visit the links at the bottom of this page or visit the FedsHireVets website.
- If you believe that you are eligible for the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), please visit the OPM ICTAP/CTAP website for more information. In order to be considered under the ICTAP program, your application must score within the pre-established "well qualified" category as stated in the Qualifications section.
- More than one selection may be made from this vacancy announcement.
- This is a Bargaining Unit position.
- Some positions may require completion of a probationary period of up to 1 (one) year.
- Many positions require successful completion of a background investigation.
- All males born after December 31st 1959 must abide by laws regarding Selective Service registration. To learn more about this law, visit the Selective Service web page, Who Must Register. If you are not registered and don't have an approved exemption, you will not be eligible for employment with the Federal government.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Reasonable_Accommodation_Policy_Statement
Veterans Information: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Veterans_Information
Selective Service Registration: http://www.sss.gov/
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The Department of Energy uses an application tracking system to evaluate the responses you provide in the applicant assessment questionnaire to place you into an initial quality category via OPM's Category Rating procedures. Then, the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME) will conduct a quality review of your application and supporting documentation to ensure you have been placed into the appropriate quality category.
Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (when applicable), and training as described in your resume and applicant assessment. Your credentials are measured against the established duties of the position at the grade level(s) being advertised.
The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified", and "Qualified", although they may differ slightly based on individual agency policy.
If you are eligible for career transition assistance plans such as ICTAP or CTAP, you must meet the definition of "well qualified" which is defined as having a score of 85 or better.
If you are a Veteran Preference eligible candidate, you will be listed at the top of whichever quality category your rating places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.
To preview questions please click here.