Research Assistant Professor
6 days left
- Full Time
Job Category : Research Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Research Assistant Professor
The George Mason University, Department of Physics and Astronomy is looking for an enthusiastic and energetic person for our Research Assistant Professor Faculty position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: We are seeking a research solar physicist to work on the data from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) LASCO and EIT experiments and the STEREO SECCHI telescopes. This will involve the 3D analysis of solar structures and dynamic events, such as coronal mass ejections (CMEs) and their shocks, in the visible and Extreme Ultraviolet (EUV) using coronagraph and EUV filter data from the SOHO and STEREO instruments and so familiarity with those instruments and their analyses is essential.
- Successful completion of a PhD in solar physics or astrophysics;
- Expertise in advanced image processing, 3D reconstruction, and stereoscopy, and application of these techniques to the coronagraph data using the IDL software language;
- A strong background in statistics;
- Multiple years of post-graduate research experience in solar and heliospheric physics;
- Successfully published research on solar eruptive activity, image processing; and
- Successfully published research in statistical methods. Preferred Qualifications:
- A background in CME and generally solar eruptive physics and the long-term evolution of the solar activity and magnetic cycle; and
- Knowledge of the R statistical language is highly desired.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, CV, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :