System Configuration Manager
The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI), operated by the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA), is a multi-mission science operations center for NASA’s flagship observatories. Our premier astronomical research center is located on the Johns Hopkins University Homewood campus in Baltimore, Maryland. The Program Management Office (PMO) provides project control systems such as Configuration Management, Document Management, Quality Assurance and Scheduling as required by our contracts. The department handles and produces all STScI proposals in response to formal Request For Proposal (RFP) and Announcement of Opportunity (AO) which will result in a contract.
The Program Management Office (PMO), is seeking a System Configuration Manager who will be responsible for maintaining up-to-date information for both current and planned system configurations for all software builds in the operations, shadow and test mode environments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains configuration information related to all hardware and software for the subsystems, tools, internal interfaces, databases, interfaces to the common systems for planned events (major tests, rehearsals) as well as established Builds and Releases
- Ensures that planned changes are fully compatible for internal and external interfaces, with specific attention to coordinating timing and compatibility
- Uses ticketing system (i.e., JIRA) to track and resolve intended configuration changes. Assures that adequate information is readily available to understand impact of changes to both internal and external interfaces.
- Actively identifies potential challenges with proposed configurations to support tests, rehearsals, builds and operations – facilitates resolution through appropriate working groups, brings to CCB for adjudication as required.
- Tracks configuration information for each major operations exercise, rehearsal, test event and full system build using Confluence collaboration software.
- Archives past system configurations in a searchable format.
- Works with development, integration and test (I&T) and IT Services in construction or updating the physical configuration to document installation interfaces.
- Participates in meetings involving systems integration, I&T, Discrepancy Review Boards (DRBs), Configuration Control Boards (CCBs) at level-3, level-4 and level-5.
- Coordinates closely with the Quality Assurance, Flight Operations configuration management and the JWST Mission Office
- We are searching for highly motivated self-starters who thrive in a team environment and take personal ownership and pride in their work. You should possess the following skills and attributes.
- Three to five years of systems engineering, systems integration and configuration management experience. Experience with tracking development environment is required. Demonstrated increasing responsibility in leading technical projects or projects in an appropriately related field.
- B.S. in Engineering, Information Systems, Computer Science, Physics, Math, or technically related field preferred. B.S. in Business Administration or other non-technical field combined with demonstrated experience running technical projects.
- Excellent presentation, communication, relationship building and organization skills are critical.
- Knowledge of scheduling techniques using MS Office is required.
- Self-driven and able to work independently
- Able to be successful in a matrixed work environment
- The System Configuration Manager shall possess a thorough knowledge of software and hardware configuration tracking processes. You will need to work effectively with engineers, scientists and operations staff, as well as business staff and managers from a variety of backgrounds.