Grounds and Park Maintenance (Maintenance Worker)
Reports to 1410 Hunter Mill Road, Vienna, daily and is dispatched to work locations throughout the county. Participates in a variety of unskilled tasks associated with mowing and grounds/park maintenance. Duties will include, but are not limited to: completing minor repairs and maintenance of park facilities, playground equipment, picnic areas, walkways, fencing, signs, dugouts, player benches and other amenities; and removal of leaves, seeding, placement of sod, and making other minor repairs to turf surfaces. Ability to work during emergency situations as designated emergency service personnel. Occasional overtime may be required.Illustrative Duties
- Collects and/or disposes of refuse, yard debris, recyclables, and other solid waste materials;
- Clears sidewalks of ice and snow;
- Assists in the operation of sewer rodding machines;
- Mixes and pours concrete for foundations or other construction repair work;
- Assists pumping station operators in the maintenance and minor repair of equipment;
- Operates various types of trucks (e.g., dump truck, loader, flusher) for transporting equipment, tools, or crews to job sites;
- Reads meters;
- Cleans facilities, to include removing trash and litter;
- Loads and unloads trucks;
- Moves furniture, heavy equipment, and materials;
- Performs routine building maintenance tasks (e.g., replacing light bulbs, moving and making minor repairs to furniture);
- Repairs and maintains walkways, gutters, and downspouts;
- Applies pesticides, fertilizer, and other chemicals under supervision of a certified pest applicator;
- Maintains and repairs grounds and turf (i.e., reconditioning, vegetation control, and repairs);
- Repairs irrigation systems (i.e., sprinklers, valves, and pipes);
- Performs various landscaping tasks, to include propagating beds, edging, mulching, and planting;
- Performs minor building and/or equipment repair and/or maintenance;
- Operates tractors and mowers, chain saws, or cutoff saws;
- Engages in safe working practices and complies with safety programs and guidelines;
- Reports unsafe working conditions;
- Complies with safety competencies.
- Basic knowledge of construction and maintenance of asphalt and concrete;
- Working knowledge of small equipment to include weed eater, push mower, power tamper, chain saw, concrete saw and gas generator;
- Basic knowledge of air compressors and pneumatic tools;
- Knowledge of and the ability to use and perform basic scheduled maintenance on various types of hand tools, machinery, etc.;
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and applicable safety practices;
- Ability to perform duties requiring manual dexterity and mechanical aptitude;
- Ability to operate various types of motor vehicles;
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions;
- Ability to work outside with regular exposure to severe weather, noxious fumes, high levels of dust, etc.;
- Ability to perform medium to heavy manual labor;
- Ability to comprehend and comply to safety practices;
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with customers, employees and supervisors.
Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to completion of the tenth grade.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- A valid motor vehicle driver's license is required. Positions within this classification requiring a valid motor vehicle license are subject to a driving record check as a condition of employment and periodically thereafter, as determined by Risk Management.
- Some positions within this classification may require a valid commercial driver's license (CDL). CDL class and endorsement(s) are determined by the needs of the business area.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, a check of the child protective services registry and a driving record check, and to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Two to three years of athletic field maintenance experience;
- Experience with equipment such as: infield groomer, small utility vehicles, skid-steers with attachments, tractor with attachments, riding mowers;
- Small equipment experience with chainsaws, weed-trimmers, edger's, blowers, walk-behind mowers;
- Three or more years of experience with the repair and maintenance of outdoor maintenance equipment such as mowers, tractors and landscape equipment.
Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds; operate equipment; walk and stand on uneven terrain; work during inclement weather; bend, twist, turn, stand, and stoop, and to work overtime when necessary. All duties perform with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview.It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.